cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4, Server 2003 Ent R2 SP2 and Exchange Server 2003 SP2 SP2

MK3
Level 2

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are issues with Exchange GRT backups in this configuration.  We were having the issue before installing SP4 but this service pack has not fixed any of the errors.

The error messages experienced are:

v-79-57344-65298 The Exchange Store service is not responding.  Backup set cancelled.

v-79-57344-65072 An error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec Remote Agent etc.

The backup user account is a full ExchAdmin and Domain Admin but the jobs failes after 30 seconds or so.

The event viewer show the Remote Agent also terminates unexpectedly at the same time.

The job fails with the Final error:0xe000ff12 - A communications failure has occurred with an exchange store resource.

A Non GRT backup completes without issue.

Known issue or any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MK3
Level 2

After further investigation it appears to be an old but ongoing issue with BackupExec and .Net2 Framework

When the scheduled backup is triggered, in the event logs is a C++ Runtime error which cuses the agent to crash and the backup to stall.

Restarting the backupexec services via the management console and manually restarting the job results in a good GRT backup.

At random intervals when manually running the job, the same error happens but an application popup appears with the Runtime error.  I am assuming the scheduled job wouldn't be expected to generate the popup?

I have now escalated this to my support as the strict config management prevents me making any changes or installing software updates.  Our .Net 2 Framework is not up to date which may resolve the problem after updating.

Thanks for your feedback and input

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you checked to make sure that any antivirus installed on the Exchange server isn't perhaps blocking and stopping beremote.exe (RAWS agent service)?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to above, is HF 212812 installed as well ? If not, you could manually download it from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212812

And pls ensure the remote agent on the exchange server is updated too. (With SP4 and this HF)

MK3
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Beremote.exe is already excluded from AV scan and the hot fix doesn't appear to address GRT issues and isn't a quick option on these servers. (Strict config management and testing)  The Exchange server is also the backup server so I assume (guess) the latest version of the agent is installed already.  I should add all these backups are B2D on directly attached storage with no dedupe option.

I have 6 remote installations all failing for what appears to be various reasons.  I have only investigated 2 of them so far.  All installations are identical for software levels.

The first one seems to backup the Information Store and complete a verify for the right amount of data then the backup fails with the staging area error.  This doesn't make sense as a staging area is only required for restores.  The final error is categorised as a resource error.  Although the backup and verify complete, the final output is a failure and there is no data available to restore.

The second server starts to backup but doesn't complete, the verify job of the partial data fails for corruption (kind of expected for a partial backup).  The error message indicates the IS store is not responding and the remote agent communication stopped.  A check of the eventvwr and services shows that the agent is still running, no issues with exchange are experienced.  No data is available for restore.

I have also ran a sgmon.exe whilst these backups take place and can't see anything obvious in the logs.  I monitored everything except 3rd party data.  I am unable post any of the logs unfortunately.

I'll post the outcome of the other servers as and when I get chance to investigate further.

I have been informed by my colleagues that a successful GRT can be taken immediately after a server reboot but then all subsequent GRT backups fail.  Even more confusing!  I have yet to confirm this.

Thanks for any input.

MK3
Level 2

After further investigation it appears to be an old but ongoing issue with BackupExec and .Net2 Framework

When the scheduled backup is triggered, in the event logs is a C++ Runtime error which cuses the agent to crash and the backup to stall.

Restarting the backupexec services via the management console and manually restarting the job results in a good GRT backup.

At random intervals when manually running the job, the same error happens but an application popup appears with the Runtime error.  I am assuming the scheduled job wouldn't be expected to generate the popup?

I have now escalated this to my support as the strict config management prevents me making any changes or installing software updates.  Our .Net 2 Framework is not up to date which may resolve the problem after updating.

Thanks for your feedback and input