cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 and IBM TS 3200 tape library

SiboneloZ
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

i was wondering if there is any way to setup 1 backup job to run on 2 or more drives? Our current tape library has 4 drives in it but it only uses one drive to backup too, which is causing all backups to run over 12hours (1.2TB of data). im trying to optimize this.

can I:

A: run 1 backup on 2 or more drives ?

B: create multiple backup jobs and let the device choose where to backup too?

OR any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately, BE cannot write a job to 2 seperate targets. However, what you could do is split the job and target both the jobs to seperate Drives. Hope this should fix it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately, BE cannot write a job to 2 seperate targets. However, what you could do is split the job and target both the jobs to seperate Drives. Hope this should fix it.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As mentioned by Jaydeep above you will not be able to target 2 devices within the same job... Option B would be your best bet... 

His suggestion should work well for you, you could also create a device pool after creating the two jobs and target the pool.  

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...with 4 drives I'd actually split that up into 4 jobs instead of 2...Then you're using all the drives and should finish within 12 hours!

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Great call CraigV, 

I must have missed over youre saying that you had 4 drives... Please note that you would need to have a LEO license for the three additional drives.. Please view document below 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35983

SiboneloZ
Level 2

thanks a lot for the prompt feedback Gentlemen,

i knew the multiple jobs would work but i had to confirm with the experts. will definitely take all your contributions into consieration whilst implementing a new backup strategy. i just checked and we do have the LEO license installed so i can go ahead with the setup.