cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 and VMWare 5.1

LFCNZ
Level 4

I've read articles saying that using the virtual agent to backup VMWare 5.1 Virtual machines when you restore them the restore will hang.

However I just tested, created a test Windows 2008 R2 server on a 5.1 ESXi Host, backed it up using BE 2003 R2 virtual agent and restored it fine.

Is this issue an intermittent one?

Supposedly there is a beta coming to fix the issue, just curious as to why wiht the test I ran I didn't even get it.

Article outlining issue here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/quality-wins-every-time-vsphere-51-support-update

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Not every restore will hang.

LFCNZ
Level 4

Ok thanks, does anyone know if you restore to a ESXi 5.0 host if the issue would still occur, ie intermittent hanging?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...not many people have actually gone on to try backing up VMware 5.1, so you probably won't get an answer on that one.

You can, however, register for the Beta on the link below:

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=52801D5ABA034CC18A15C8E8E5CB2F99

Thanks!

Erwin001
Level 2

Hi, I recently upgraded a test environment from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi5.1. Also I installed a new vCenter 5.1. I also use BE2010 R3 with SP1 installed. Did a backup of a ESXi 5.1 VM (VMware Tools 5.1 and Virtual Harware 9) This backup went fine. Next thing I deleted the VM and restored it back from BE. It all went fine.

GRT was disabled fom within the job settings. When job starts I see within vCenter that a snapshot is being made and that backup of the VM is occuring. When backup is complted snapshot is removed and all is ok.

Did you experienced any troubles yet?

thanks

erwin

CraigV
...unfortunately this is the VERY rare exception rather than the norm, and what works for you won't work with many others. If you are not using the Beta patch, then what you are doing in terms of backing up & restoring is unsupported. If you did a RAWS-based backup you would be fine. Thanks!

Erwin001
Level 2

Hi Craig, thanks for your reply. Can you please share with us the problems that can occur when using a non-supported BE in combination with ESXi 5.1.

Thanks again

Erwin

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way to know what the potential problems are because ESXi 5.1 is not tested,.

Erwin001
Level 2

I rest my case.....

Thanks all for the replies

Cheers

Erwin

CraigV

Erwin: Your best bet really is to hop onto the Beta program in order to test...they would recommend using this in a test environment though until the patch is finalised.

Thanks!