cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 corrupt bkf file

gsmith411
Level 3

I have Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 running on win2k3 server.  My normal backups are kept in a 3TB internal drive. I used to use an external Drobo USB drive.  I now need to recover some old data from that old external drive. 

I have connected the drive to the computer, created a new B2D folder, copied all the *.bkf files into it, inventoried and cataloged the files.  Unfortunately, one file is listed as "unrecognized media" and the catalog fails.  There are over 300 bkf files and I only need to recover a single file off the old backups.  Is the entire backup set lost, because of a single corrupt bkf file? is there any way to tell Symantec Backup to ignore that file and catalog all the rest of the files? Is there any way to fix that single unrecognized media file?

Thank you for your help

4 REPLIES 4

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

You can go to Tools - Options - Catalogs and uncheck "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations" option.

Attempt to catalog the media's again and see if it completes successfully.

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

This procedure will help force Backup Exec to recatalog all the BKF files from scratch, and if this does not work I believe you will not be able to recover the data.

1. Go to the B2D folder, associate all BKF files with the Retired Media and then delete them.

2. In Tools, Options, Catalogs, unselect "Require all media..." and "Use storage based..." checkboxes.

3. Restart the BE services.

4. Inventory the B2D folder and recatalog all BKF files.

This may resolve your issue, it has been useful for other similar Customer cases.

Regards,

HardwareGuy
Level 2

I am performing the steps listed in the previous post. I have approximately 600 BKF files that are being recataloged.

All of the BKFs are either 4Gb or 8Gb in size. Why do some rebuilds take seconds to process while others take many minutes or even hours?

Approximately 20% of the catalog jobs fail with an error code E0000900. The error description states the catalog folder C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\ is not available. Obviously it is available because the other catalog jobs are completing successfully. I am logged on as the network and media server administrator and there is 65Gb of free disk space.

Is this error legitimate, and if so, what would be the cause given I have (and always have had) administrator permissions to the entire 2008 server?

HardwareGuy
Level 2

My mistake. The error code is E0000904. The meaning, or my interpretation, is the same as my previous post.