cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 r3 Agent for Hyper-V. Restore to Physical Hardware?

mhartman
Level 3

When backing up a virtual machine using the agent for Hyper-V is it possible to restore the backup to dissimilar hardware (Physical Hardware)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you do a Hyper-V or VMware agent backup then the backup is an image backup and even if you have GRT selected, this will only provide file system data, not full System State information. As such V2P is not really an option unless you do a standard remote agent (IDR or SDR) capable backup that includes System states etc - and then you might run into dissimilar hardware issues - where SDR (BE 2012) would be more effective

Note: SSR (Symantec System Recovery - a completely different product with it's own forum) might be a better option for this activity.

With regards ZerRoC00L's answer we introduced P2V (Physical to Virtual) and B2V (Exising Backup Set to Virtual) in 2012 we did not introduce V2P (Vritual to Physical)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As I remember correctly this function is introduced in BE2012, as far as I know it is not possible in earlier versions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can restore it to a physical server, but you are unlikely to be able to re-boot the restored server.  This is due to missing hardware drivers.

mhartman
Level 3

PKH, that is where I'm at. I can restore a vitual machine to physical hardware but re-boot is unsuccessful. You would think the "Merge the existing hardware configuration and registry services with the data to be restored" restore option would take care of the drivers. Especially because I am performing a local recovery so there is a full OS installed on the server being recovered. Thought there might be an option or something I was missing.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The problem is the registry.  You are restoring the old registry which is pointing to the old drivers.  BE does not integrate registries.  It is a replace option.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you do a Hyper-V or VMware agent backup then the backup is an image backup and even if you have GRT selected, this will only provide file system data, not full System State information. As such V2P is not really an option unless you do a standard remote agent (IDR or SDR) capable backup that includes System states etc - and then you might run into dissimilar hardware issues - where SDR (BE 2012) would be more effective

Note: SSR (Symantec System Recovery - a completely different product with it's own forum) might be a better option for this activity.

With regards ZerRoC00L's answer we introduced P2V (Physical to Virtual) and B2V (Exising Backup Set to Virtual) in 2012 we did not introduce V2P (Vritual to Physical)

mhartman
Level 3

Thank you for the knoledge on this everyone.