cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 uses only 74kb of media, instead of 4GB

Veruna2
Level 2
Hi there,

I'm using Backup Exec 2010 to backup several Windows Server 2008 Machines (backup to disk).

Problem since a few days:

My backup jobs keep switching between "queued" and "loading media"
Eventually, if I wait for a very long time (several days - weeks) it gets through..

Of course, this is not an option...

A second issue that, in my opinion, relates:
backup exec created over 11.000 media labels, many are only 74kb. It says that these media are "not appendable - media full". Properties of these media learn that only 74kb of 4GB (standard) is used...
Media is set to "appendable: infinite"

So I believe my backups keep lasting because of the enormous amount of media's it has to go through, but I can't figure out why it stops at 74Kb...

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Veruna,

On issue #1, it could be your append/overwrite periods of your B2D media...if set for too long, they won't be returned to scratch soon enough to be used. What are your settings, and what happens if you set them lower?
On Issue #2, I'd suggest getting hold of SP1 for BE 2010, and then updating with any patches thereafter...there is a chance that the issue will be addressed once you do that.
Either way, post the results here...

Thanks!

Veruna2
Level 2
CraigV,

thanks for your reaction:

B2D settings:

Overwrite Protection: 2 weeks
Append: Infinite - Allow Append

issue#2
I will upgrade and inform as soon as possible

Veruna2
Level 2
Just checked and SP1 + latest updates allready installed..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are your jobs Overwrite or Append?  IMHO, ALL B2D jobs should be Overwrite, since all BKF files in an "append family" share a common OPP, which is reset when the newest one is closed.

Veruna2
Level 2
Ken,

They were initially configured as overwrite.

Now I've changed to append, but nothing changed in the result...

mfranklin
Not applicable

I have 2 Issues: I'm using Symantec Backup Exec 2010.

1st issue: Whenever I run a backup job I keep getting a window that pops up about Media Overwite. Do you want to overwrite imported media 'B2D000001'? Media overwrite protection is configured to prompt before overwriting imported media. Where in the application do I go to stop this from appearing when I run my backup jobs

Respond: Yes to overwrite the media

Respond: No to use other media

Respond Cancel to cancel the operation

2nd issue: My backup jobs are failing with error code:E000810C,E0008821& E000E020

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Please open new threads for these problems

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Any news on the original posting?

Thanks!