cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Backup Job taking too long and over using resources

backupexec2012u
Not applicable

We just upgraded from backup exec 2010 r3 to 2012. Had lots of issues that are ongoing with this new version which im working with symantec. This one might be a quick fix or known problem. I have a file server windows 2008 r2 has a 10gbe connection storage of 20tb total 12.5TB used currently backing up 3 seperate shares on this server with 3 different jobs. One job is to backup the biggest share which is roughly 9.25 TB in size.

My backup exec server is running on windows 2008 r2 64bit with backup exec 2012. Using an overland 48 tape LTO 3 400/800gb device with FC connection directly to our backup server. We just did our monthly fullbackups and it finished after elapsed time of 05:22:35:58  which is 5 days and 22 hrs 35 minutes. The byte count was totalling 20,030GB??? which is i think if im right 19.5 TB roughly? How or what is going on? How is backup exec backing up something thats only 9.25tb turning to 19.5TB?  Its using 39 of my tapes out of the 48 for this job.

The 2010 r3 version took long enough but 2012 just tacted on another 40+ hrs on this job.

1 REPLY 1

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

When you say you are backing up from shares, are you using user-defined shares? or do you have the Agent for windows installed on the remote file server and you have done the selections from under the drives?

Also when you were using BE 2010 R3, how long did the job and how many tapes it used?

Check the joblog to find out whether there were any other selections other than the 9.25 TB also the joblog should give you an idea of what is getting backed up in the job.

Do you have the AOFO (Advanced open File Option) option checked for your job? Try unchecking that and see if there is any difference int he time taken.

Also check if there is some other process like an AV scan or something similar happening on the file share at the time backup is going on.

Thanks