cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Credential Status Test Failed and does not restore file

pvilla
Level 3

I am trying to restore a file and am running into a problem where the credentials are failing. the job shows that it completed successfully but the file does not restore. the problem is the one mentioned in TECH198303 (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH198303) however i do not see a solution or hotfix, of course the file that i need to restore is one of the failing ones. Has anyone found a fix to this? 

and yes, i opened a case with symantec, just hoping someone already found a work around so i can do the restore i need.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pvilla
Level 3

okay, the mystery was solved. thought you might like to know the answer.

they had me retire the tape (that was the first try, not sure if it was part of the solution but thought i would mention it), then he had me rename the catalog folder (under program files) and recatalog the tape, that seemed to do the trick. not sure why the first catalog of the tape did not work.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The KB which you referenced impacts the credentials test, however it does NOT affect backups/restores.

Are you restoring the file to the same location or different location ? Have you tried to restore the file with the option "Restore without NTFS permissions"

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Pville,

Are the backups from you are restoring DFSR backups?? If it is DFSR data then you need to restre it from System State /Shadow Copy Component and selecting the required DFSR file for restore.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pvilla
Level 3

VJware,

from everything i found on line, you are correct it should not affect the restore however in my case what happens is the job completes successfully but nothing is restored. the only strange thing i found in the job log was a tape alert that say i was trying to "write" to a wrie-protected tape, i checked to make sure that the job stated that it was a "restore" not a backup and even went so far as to repeat the steps to make sure i was selecting "restore" so i'm not sure why that is there. as to your question on the "restore without NTFS permissions," yes i did try that option as well. Last thing i am restoring to a different location (do not want to overwrite the user's data, however i have tried both restoring to the same server (just a differnt folder) and restoring to a completely different server. No luck on either attempt.

Sush,

the answer to your question is no, it is a backup from the server where the data is stored.

pvilla
Level 3

VJware, I went back and tried to restore a file that did pass the credentials test (kept thinking about what you were saying about how one should not affect the other) and sure enough, that did NOT restore either. so where do i go from here? same thing, the job completes successfully and the only "error" i get is this    
----- TapeAlert Events -----

The device has reported the following TapeAlert diagnostic information.
Please contact your device manufacturer for more information regarding TapeAlerts.

Critical - You are trying to write to a write-protected tape.
Remove the write-protect or use another tape.
Robotic Library: PVTL2000
Drive: Drive1
Slot: 8

this tape is from 2011 backup up with an older version of Backup exec (BE used to also be on a different server) now we are on BE 2012 (again different server). i have been able to successfully restore old files from other tapes and do not want to take the write protect off this tape...afraid it may actually write to it and erase something i have on there.

lmosla
Level 6

Have you inventoried and catalogued the tape? see  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH33576

pvilla
Level 3

Imosla, yes i did a catalog and inventory to the tape.

pvilla
Level 3

okay, the mystery was solved. thought you might like to know the answer.

they had me retire the tape (that was the first try, not sure if it was part of the solution but thought i would mention it), then he had me rename the catalog folder (under program files) and recatalog the tape, that seemed to do the trick. not sure why the first catalog of the tape did not work.