cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Storage Device Goes Offline

Delo819
Level 4

Hi All,

We've recently setup Backup Exec 2012 (fully up to date) on a virtual Server 2008 machine.

We have a number of servers with their own backup jobs all going to one Netgear NAS.

All but one of the backups is working perfectly fine, the oen that isn't seems to have an issue with the storage.

The backup is of a DFS server, all its data to the NAS which has its own share setup to store the backup.

At a random point in the job the storage goes offline, the job fails and the storage immediately comes back online.

We've tried running the debugger but can't see anything wrong, it fails due to a critical volume error and thats all (I expect if Backup Exec is losing connection it would flag this)

We've done a number of network tests and at no point is the server and NAS losing communication and this is only happening on this one job to this storage, setup exactly the same as the several other backup jobs.

Would anyone be able to assist with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No problems. I used an iSCSI connection from an Iomega px-/ix- series NAS on various sites to present LUNs to a Backup Exec media server. My backups ran at night and I wasn't too worried about having a separate network due to the time the backups started (6:30PM across about 26 sites).

Read below if you want more info:

Thanks!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

Can you see if you have a network issue which is causing the disconnect?

Have you tried to recreate the job itself?

Thanks!

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you try running this DFS backup to another destination, probably a local disk or tape.

Regards,

S

CraigV

...it is a VM and Symantec doesn't support a tape configuration if you've checked things out?

Also, newer versions of vSphere don't support SCSI pass-through which is what is required to connect a tape drive to a VM.

CraigV

...just 1 thing...is the NAS used solely for backups? If so, can the NetGear do iSCSI because this would be more of a persistent connection to the media server (presenting an iSCSI LUN) and not be susceptible to network or authentication issues...

Thanks!

Delo819
Level 4

Thanks for your reponses.

We're going to start with the most simple option - re-create the job.

We will try this tonight and report tomorrow.

Regarding iSCSI, our NAS can do it but we don't have a seperate network to direct the traffic down which might cause problems - if thats what fixes the issue then obviously we will try it if we run out of options

CraigV

No problems. I used an iSCSI connection from an Iomega px-/ix- series NAS on various sites to present LUNs to a Backup Exec media server. My backups ran at night and I wasn't too worried about having a separate network due to the time the backups started (6:30PM across about 26 sites).

Read below if you want more info:

Thanks!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec