cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 VMWARE GRT Backups

jlowe
Level 3

I have just upgraded.

After a succesfull backup of a VMware server, I try to restore it as a VMDK.

The Server restores succesfully. But when trying to boot it we get "Operating system not found".

I have logged a case but haven't had any feed back yet. It has been 4 days.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jlowe
Level 3

Unfortunatly after a week of waiting for support I have had to uninstall the 2012 version and revert to 2010.

Symantec quickly reverted by pretty much saying, that I had resolved the issue by downgrading and the case would be closed.

I've installed 2012 in a test env, but would have to be pretty convinced to upgrade again.

I confirmed that the error happens when using SAN, or Ethernet as the transport media. It also occurs if you restore as a flat file locally.

Not impressed. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Did the VM have both SCSi & IDE drives ? If yes, was the OS on the SCSi drive ?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Can you private message me the case number so I can look into the issue?

jlowe
Level 3

I have tried on several servers. Some with 1 virtual disk, some with 2.  All our servers have SCSI drives - so yes the OS would be on a SCSI drive.

I have experimented with the SCSI Controller type as per advice in other forums, no change

jlowe
Level 3

Ben L - have sent you the case Number.

Cheers

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

If you find something, please post it here -- I have the same issue on a test Win2008r2 backup/restore from ESXi.

jlowe
Level 3

Unfortunatly after a week of waiting for support I have had to uninstall the 2012 version and revert to 2010.

Symantec quickly reverted by pretty much saying, that I had resolved the issue by downgrading and the case would be closed.

I've installed 2012 in a test env, but would have to be pretty convinced to upgrade again.

I confirmed that the error happens when using SAN, or Ethernet as the transport media. It also occurs if you restore as a flat file locally.

Not impressed.