cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010R3 Sql Backups completed with exceptions

najmulhasan
Level 4

Hi,

I have an Sql Job which completes with exceptions,the following is the error returned

Database  is configured to maintain transaction logs.
Transaction log backups are not being performed.  This will result in the
log growing to fill all available disk space.  Regular log backups should be
scheduled or the database should be changed to the simple recovery mode.

will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space.  Regular log
backups should be sch...

1.Is it OK if i change the mode to Simple......Can i be able to restore Sql Sucessfully ..

2.Is it a must that i need to Do a full backup job and then after it is completed need to run a log backup job?

How do i get rid of this Completed with exceptions warning keeping my backups in a state of fully restorable...

Any help would be appreciated..

Regards

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a separate backup job to to backup the transaction logs. See this document.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126063

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) When you change the recovery mode to Simple, you would loose your ability to do a point-in-time  restore of the database.  If you are not familiar with point-in-time restores, search the Web or talk to your SQL Server expert.  Before you switch to simple recovery mode, you should consult the database application owner and/or your SQL Server expert, it could be an application requirement not to use simple recovery mode.

2) You would need to run a log backup to truncate the logs.  There is no other way in BE.  Alternatively, you can use the SQL DBCC to truncate the logs.  In this case, you don't have to do a log backup, but you would have to do it manually.  With a log backup, you can schedule the log backup job.

Once you truncate the logs, the error message will go away.  Whether you backup and/or truncate the logs, the ability to restore your SQL database depends on your database backup.  As long as your database backups are good, you can restore your databases to the point of the database backup.  You would not be able to do point-in-time restores without your logs.