cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and Storage Provisioning on Dell PowerVault

cyberman
Level 3

We are currently running BE 2010 on a Dell PowerVault DL2000. That server is physically attached to a Dell MD1000 storage array. Within Backup Exec, we have a Storage Provisioning license that allows Backup Exec to see and manage the external storage array.

As we attemtp to upgrade to Backup Exec 2012, we are running into problems with Storage Provisioning licensing. First, Symantec claims we don't even have a current license that allows to upgrade Storage Provisioning. This is clearly wrong, as I can provide them with a serial number and proof of purchase. What is more troubling, is that Symantec claims, via Dell, that the Storage Provisioning option is no longer supported in Backup Exec 2012, and they do not have an alternative solution. 

My dillema is that since the 2012 upgrade installation sees a previous license for Storage Provisioning, it wants a new license (which Symantec won't get me). I can not complete the install without it. It gives me the option of going back an UN-installing my current Storage Provisioning option, but I am afraid Backup Exec will then no longer be able to see or configure my storage array if I do that.

Has anyone else experienced this or can provide any assistance?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec claims we don't even have a current license that allows to upgrade Storage Provisioning. This is clearly wrong, as I can provide them with a serial number and proof of purchase.

Proof of purchase is not sufficient for an upgrade.  You need to have a current maintenance to qualify for a free upgrade.

Symantec claims, via Dell, that the Storage Provisioning option is no longer supported in Backup Exec 2012

I think you should check with the Symantec Licencing department on this and the earlier matter.  This document is specifically written for BE 2012 and it refers to SPO.  Clearly SPO is part of BE 2012.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74106

Take note of this note in the document

If you use a Dell DL Appliance, do not use this appendix. See the Dell™ PowerVault™ DL Backup to Disk Appliance and the Symantec Backup Exec Storage Provisioning Optiondocumentation that Dell provides with the appliance.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Symantec claims we don't even have a current license that allows to upgrade Storage Provisioning. This is clearly wrong, as I can provide them with a serial number and proof of purchase.

Proof of purchase is not sufficient for an upgrade.  You need to have a current maintenance to qualify for a free upgrade.

Symantec claims, via Dell, that the Storage Provisioning option is no longer supported in Backup Exec 2012

I think you should check with the Symantec Licencing department on this and the earlier matter.  This document is specifically written for BE 2012 and it refers to SPO.  Clearly SPO is part of BE 2012.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74106

Take note of this note in the document

If you use a Dell DL Appliance, do not use this appendix. See the Dell™ PowerVault™ DL Backup to Disk Appliance and the Symantec Backup Exec Storage Provisioning Optiondocumentation that Dell provides with the appliance.