cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 performance issue

Cross86
Level 2

Greetings,

I am currently using Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for my server backups. Occasionally, about once or twice a week during a schedued backup, the backup process continues to run hours after it normally completes, and does not stop. During this time the server is slowed to a crawl, CPU useage spikes up and down, and RDC users cannot access anything on the server because it's so slow. The process bengine.exe is using a ton of memory, and continues to expand every second. The only fix is to reboot the server. After that it works fine for a few days, then the issue comes up again.  

BE2012 is currently updated to the most recent version. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

This sounds like a known issue. Recommendation is to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014.  

See here:  Bengine.exe memory leak upon backup job initialization in Backup Exec 2012

and Best practices for Backup Exec 2014 installation 

Cross86
Level 2

Thanks for the response. I did see that article but I currently don't have an active maintenance contract so I won't be able to upgrade unless I purchase the new version, correct?

Is there no fix for the version I am currently running?