Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 shuting down HA Hyper-V virtual machines during backup job

alberto-oliveir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

A strange issue is ocurring on one of my customers enviromment. When i backup HA virtual machines , we get many errors under event viewer, associated with Hyper-V and the virtual machine shuts down.

I revised my logs and didn't find anything that points to a configuration problem.

Hyper-V logs

Event 21502

'Virtual Machine "X' failed to start.

'X' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 68DDB994-91C9-452A-A3E9-98C5830CD5E5)

'X' Microsoft Emulated IDE Controller (Instance ID {83F8638B-8DCA-4152-9EDA-2CA8B33039B4}): Failed to Power on with Error 'The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.' (0x80070021). (Virtual machine ID 68DDB994-91C9-452A-A3E9-98C5830CD5E5)

'X': Failed to open attachment 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume3\X\X.vhd'. Error: 'The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.' (0x80070021). (Virtual machine ID 68DDB994-91C9-452A-A3E9-98C5830CD5E5)

'X': Failed to open attachment 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume3\X\X.vhd'. Error: 'The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.' (0x80070021). (Virtual machine ID 68DDB994-91C9-452A-A3E9-98C5830CD5E5

Event 1069

Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine X' in clustered service or application 'X' failed.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alberto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Please use the below key also would recommend to see the link before first , 1) Start Registry Editor. 2) Visit the following registry key: “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FsDepends” 3) Under the “FsDepends” key, change REG_DWORD value “Start” from “3” to “0” 4) Restart the computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2013544 Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Searching through the error it matches to MSDN link below ,I don't think this to be backpuexec issue,see if this helps. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/56c95699-7e48-4468-942a-c4d97fc89492/ Thanks.

alberto-oliveir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you, Backup Exec, but my issue only occurs when backup jobs are running. I also configured my pass-through disks according to the article. Other vm's that are not pass-through disks had the same issue.

When the backup job runs, the VM's goes down. All of my HA VM's shuts down.

Thanks for your attention.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please use the below key also would recommend to see the link before first , 1) Start Registry Editor. 2) Visit the following registry key: “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FsDepends” 3) Under the “FsDepends” key, change REG_DWORD value “Start” from “3” to “0” 4) Restart the computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2013544 Thanks

alberto-oliveir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks BackupExec. I'll try this kb and after i'll report the results.

Thanks in advance.

alberto-oliveir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

BackupExec i used your tip, the event viewer gone, but the virtual machine still shuts down.

Do you have any other tip for me to try???

Thanks in advance.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Thanks for the response so now you don't see any related error in event viewer have you tried checking the event viewer of virtual machine which are restarting too see if any related error you see there. Also in this case if backup is going to tape then try doing backup to disk of one virtual machine and only backup vhd means disable GRT and check. Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and you're running SP1a for BE 2012?

alberto-oliveir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

BackupExec thanks for your help. With the register keys, the error events gone and got another one, from VSS provider. When i use Windows shadow copy, i can backup my virtual machines without the strange behaviour related by me on the first post.

Now my backup enviromment is working well with a great performance! Thanks in advance for your help!

alberto-oliveir
Level 3
Partner Accredited

CraigV, Yes, i am running BE 2012 SP1.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hey Alberto ,Appreciated and good to see all working fine. Thanks.