Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 (w/tape drive) running on a file server

Phill_McSherry
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi guys

I'm looking for a little guidance on the following scenario.

A fellow sys admin is making an argument for making the backup (media) server a file server as well. He would like to do this so the backup and restore functions will be "quicker" because its going from the local drive straight to tape.

I've explained that by copying small files straight to tape, the drive doesnt get a chance to run up to full speed and any expected performance boost could be minimal.

Is there any best practices or other documentation that I can point him (and the IT manager) to that would better explain why this isnt a recomended practice.

Alternatively if there is any best practices or other documentation that supports his configuration, please share so my eyes can be opened.

thanks,

Phill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH8326 - Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to or restoring from tape media or disk (B2D) & how to troubleshoot or improve backup performance

Point no 6:

"The total number of files on a disk and the relative size of each file can either speed up backup or slow it down. The fastest backups occur when the disk contains a few large size files. The slowest backups occur when the disk contains thousands of small files. A large number of files located in the same directory path will back up more efficiently compared to backing them up from multiple locations."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH8326 - Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to or restoring from tape media or disk (B2D) & how to troubleshoot or improve backup performance

Point no 6:

"The total number of files on a disk and the relative size of each file can either speed up backup or slow it down. The fastest backups occur when the disk contains a few large size files. The slowest backups occur when the disk contains thousands of small files. A large number of files located in the same directory path will back up more efficiently compared to backing them up from multiple locations."

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Regardless of where you store your small files, the problem of not being able to output to the tape drive fast enough will still remain.  If the media server is also the file server, there is no need for the files to traverse the network, thus saving you some time.

There is no right or wrong as to whether your media server should or should not be a file server.  It is a question of preference and there is nothing that will rule out the media server serving as a file server.