cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 working a day ahead?

DiNZi
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

We are currently using Backup Exec 2012, and have two daily jobs scheduled which are set to backup to tape, one at 9:00pm and another at 9.30pm.

The problem is that Backup Exec 2012 is working one day ahead, therefore today is Tuesday, and once it hits 9.00pm for the first job on Tuesday, it should switch to Tuesday in the program. 

If you look at the picture below, I have inserted tape labeled Monday yesterday and this has backed up to Tuesday, so when I enter tape labeled Tuesday today, this will backup to Wednesday.

Backup Exec 2012.jpg Ignore the middle job.

The way it should work is that when it hits 9.00pm scheduled for the current day, that's when it should switch to Tuesday. Today is Tuesday, 16:47pm and it has taken a backup to tape to a tape that is labeled Monday, it should be doing it at 9:00pm to a tape labeled Tuesday.

Please advise, everyones views are welcome, hope someone can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

The last 7 days graphical view actually shows the day when backup job actually completed. It does not show about when the job started. So if the backup started on Monday and ended on Tuesday then it will show as GREEN for Tuesday. This is By design.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Im a little confused with what youre saying.

Question, Did mondays backup complete on tuesday morning? 

if so then the picture below would be displaying correctly showing that the last backup completed tuesday morning at what would appear to be 5:14 and 1:18 AM Tuesday morning

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

The last 7 days graphical view actually shows the day when backup job actually completed. It does not show about when the job started. So if the backup started on Monday and ended on Tuesday then it will show as GREEN for Tuesday. This is By design.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Backup Exec will pick up tapes based on an algorithm and not by names labeled. There are various parameters like Allocation date, Overwrite Protection period, Append period, etc in the logic used.

DiNZi
Level 3

@Donald Eady That is correct.

We do no backups on Saturday and Sunday.

Monday I come in, insert a tape assuming it would run a backup at 9.00pm for all of Monday's work and Backup Exec would make the Monday bit Green.

Instead, Monday I come in, insert a tape, it will run a backup at 9.00pm (it will finish at 10:00pm, so it is still Monday) then when that is complete it would make Tuesday Green.

Then Tuesday I come in, same thing, after the Backup is complete it would make Wednesday Green.

The current day is one day ahead.

DiNZi
Level 3

@Sush There are always two jobs scheduled during the weekdays, one at 9.00pm and another at 9.30pm, they are both definetly completed before 12.00/the next day.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  so as Jaydeep describer are you saying that you have a specific tape in a slot that you want to be picked up for the Tuesday job or is it a job timing issue?

Sush---
Level 6

I just tested one backup job which completed in 5 minutes and it did make Tuesday GREEN on my test server as expected.

So in you case is there any changes in the Local time settings??

Regards,

-Sush...

DiNZi
Level 3

I have just checked the job history and it does seem like there is some sort of delay, well not delay, probably slow writing issue. The first job that starts at 9.00pm takes 4 hours and ends at 1.00am, then the second job starts at 1.00am and ends at 4am.

As per Sush's advice, I think because both jobs are ending on the next day, that is why I'm getting this problem.

Each job will backup not more than 325GB, and this takes 4 hours, is there no way to make this quicker?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,

I just observed that in your screenshot it says "Last backup on 6/11/2013 5:14".... I assume it is AM as you have mentioned that "Today is Tuesday, 16:47pm".

So can you check the Job logs of the two backup jobs to see the exact time when the jobs are completed. It will be showing as completed on Tuesday.

Thanks,

-Sush...

DiNZi
Level 3

We run two backups every evening, if they take 8 hours between themselves every night, that means we would have to start them at 5:00pm, which is too early. A lot of people finish work at 6:00pm sometimes 7:00pm is there anyway to speed up the backups to tape so it takes less time?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Dinzi,

I think you should close this post by marking appropriate SOLUTION and then open a new post for queries regarding making your backups quicker.

Thanks,

-Sush...