cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 , Active : media request ?

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

I am facing issue with Backup Exec 2014 installed on HP easy store server , after i created a job and scheduled the backup , when it comes to start the status becomes active : Queued ... active : media request . I have 8 tapes in the autoloader conficgured as below image, thanks for the help

Backup Exec 2014.JPG

21 REPLIES 21

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are those tapes overwritable or Scratch?

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

Scratch Media

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can't clearly see the screenshot.

What destination is specified in the backup job ? Is it the Library or the Tape Drive or a Partition ?

Also, is the job set to append or to overwrite ?

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

Robotic.jpg

VJware
Level 6

Looks like you have set the backup job to use specifically a Partition containing slot 2. Is there a tape in this partition ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should check the BE console for any outstanding alerts and respond to them. It could be that the job is waiting for an overwritable tape

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

How can i do that ?

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

I check all 8 slots all of them have tapes inside the autoloader 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Look at the bottom of the console. There is an area where you can click to display the alerts

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

Backup Exec 2014_1.JPG

i try to respond, then uncheck offline , i get the same error over and over

VJware
Level 6

Looks like a hardware issue.

Check the event viewer for any errors / warnings.

Run vendor diagnostics against the tape drive. HP LTT tools can be used. Stop all BE services before running these diagnostics.

Also, are you using Symantec driver for the tape drive ? And MS driver for the changer ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Make sure that the device is functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The tape library should be listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver. If the device is not functioning correctly, then it is a Windows problem and you may need to get the vendor to take a look at it

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

This is the alert that i am getting

Backup Exec 2014 2.JPG

CraigV

So...make sure you have overwritable or Scratch media in the slot as I mentioned before, and if you're spanning 2 tapes, then expand the slot count for that partition. Backup Exec doesn't span partitions if it requires additional tapes.

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

How can i make sure that i have an overwritable or scratch media in the slot? I am also trying to scratch the slot that i am trying to use but it is greyed, in addition to that i tried importing it .. it went succesful (but also with no success) Thanks

slot scratch.JPG

VJware
Level 6

There seem to be couple of issues.

1) Media insert issue

2) Hardware issue

For the media issue, your backup job is targetted to Slot 2, however you are showing a screenshot of Slot 5. Can you show the screenshot of Slot 2 ?

Also, do ensure the tapes do not have the physical "read-only" slide marked against them.

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

I edited the back up to different slot thought maybe the problem was with slot 2 that i why you see 2 different screen shots from different slots, how do I ensure the tapes do not have the physical "read-only" slide marked against them ? Where you said Media insert issue .. how to resolve it .. Thanks

CraigV

The only way to make sure the media insert issue doesn't pop is as follows:

* Configure enough slots in the partition with enough overwritable/appendable tapes;

* Make sure the tapes inserted can be appended too or overwritten. For this, check your Append/OPP settings on the media set.

Michael_Mikhael
Level 3

I attached image of media set settings i already have it to append...

APPEND.jpg