cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Alerts Media Remove

Tinalms
Level 3

I have this running on multiple servers with no issues.  However I just updated a server from BE2012 to BE2014.  I have the alerts all set and configured how we want the3m however the Media Remove alert will not auto respond yes.  It is set up to auto respond yes but it will not.  The yes is greyed out which this is also the only server I have had this on.  I ran the BEUtility and have them all set to Yes or OK. 

Then I went in to set the alerts and I did change the time on them to 1 hour now as it was emailing every minute.   We have all others set to respond yes after 1 minute however this one will not auto respond and it emails now every hour rather than every minute.  I have attached a picture of my settings.

120px_BE2014.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Like I said I ran the BEUtility and the respond with yes is still greyed out so it is not responding.

Tina

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you tried restarting all the BE services?

Tinalms
Level 3

I have restarted them numerous times and re-booted the server but nothing.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Confirm that the error handling is enabled from the storage tab of the Backup Exec console. Also make sure that you do not have any custom error handling rules that migrated over during the upgrade from Backup Exec 2012 that may be causing issues.

Some alerts/rules are configured by default and cannot be modified in Backup Exec 2014. From the screen shot you provided, it appears Backup Exec is waiting for media to be removed from the device. Check the configuration of the job settings like “Eject Media After Job Completes

If both a custom error-handling rule and a default error-handling rule apply to a failed job, the settings in the custom rule are applied to the job.

Also, if this is a clustered environment the configuration settings are different. Refer to the Backup Exec 2014 Admin Guide starting on page 285. You can find the Admin Guide HERE.

Tinalms
Level 3

Where do I find error handling?  Also the settings are the same on all the off site servers and this is the onlyone that the yes option is greyed out.  All others changed once the BEUtility was run.  So I am trying to figure out why it is just this one.

Yes it is set to eject media after job but the job will not complete successfully until it gets a response from the media remove alert.  It is set to respond yes on all other servers after 1 minute.  This one we had to change to 1 hour as it filling up email boxes because the alerts were going out every minutes as it is not responding yes.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

So when you say you” have the alerts configured how you want them”, is there a job in question that is receiving a “Remove Media” request and causing other jobs to miss or fail? Can we confirm that BE is not responding with yes as it is configured in the screen shot?

If there is a job that has already run causing an issue you can find error handling in a couple of places.

From the “Job History” tab right click on the backup job in question in the bottom pane or in the upper right corner. Or from the storage tab, then double click on the device.  I included screen shots for you below. (The screen shots have the error handling option greyed out because error handling is not enabled on that test box. It should not be greyed out for your installation of Backup Exec)

Is this a standalone tape device or a robotic library?

If it is a stand-alone tape device and the job is configured to “Eject Media When Job Completes”, then Backup Exec is waiting for the tape to be taken out of the drive. Responding yes really has no impact for controlling the job in this scenario. Try unchecking the option to remove media when job completes and see if that corrects the possible issue?

Error Handling Rule.PNGError Handling Rule 2.PNG

Tinalms
Level 3

The job completes successfully once I log into it and respond the the request that should automatically respond with a yes like it is set.  However it is not responding.  The server in question is a 2003 server and this is the only one I have an issue with.  The others are 2008 and 2012 and are set up the exact same way.

If it is a stand-alone tape device and the job is configured to “Eject Media When Job Completes”, then Backup Exec is waiting for the tape to be taken out of the drive. Responding yes really has no impact for controlling the job in this scenario. Try unchecking the option to remove media when job completes and see if that corrects the possible issue?

The job is set to eject the media after the job completes.  If we don't have it set this way the tapes never get changed as these are offsite and they assume it is still running or doing something if the tape is not ejected.  All other locations have it set to eject tape after job completes and we get one notification stating remove media and then it responds automatically and then the job completes and end of issue.

This server in question is not responding to the job even though it does say to respond yes.  So to say it doesn't matter doesn't make sense to us when it works just fine on multiple other servers all with the same jobs set-up.  The only difference being that this server is 2003.

If we cannot get it to work right I will revert back to BE 2012 as it worked just fine in that version with no problems.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Tinalms,

Just to clarify:

"So to say it doesn't matter doesn't make sense to us when it works just fine on multiple other servers all with the same jobs set-up"

I was indicating that if this were a stand alone tape device, which does not seem to be the case for your scenario.

If you have already followed the steps to configure the alert categories using BEutil without success, I would recommend opening a support case for further investigation with one of our support agents.

If you would like to PM me with contact information, I would be happy to help with that.

Tinalms
Level 3

It is a stand alone tape drive connected via USB to the server.  All of them are set up the same at the remote locations.

Yes it is convifgured the same as all others but like I said this one does not work like all the others as in responding to the media remove request.

I can create a request and see where it goes from there.  I will wait until Monday however as I am getting ready to leave for the day and I want to see what happens with tonights full back-up if it responds to the media request.

Yewchee
Not applicable

I have also encountered the same issue on 2014.  I have a Single LTO-5 (SCSI) attached to the server and every morning I have to click on the response OK before the job stops.  I have tried to setup the alert with automatic OK response in 1 minute a few times but it seems to revert back to 1 day.  What is worst is that I have to set each alert independently which is tedious and unproductive.  This site is a remote site and I do not have the luxury of checking the hardware visually.

I sincerly hope Symantec look into improving this and allow administrator to configure these responses more efficiently.

Regards  

jennifer_mocher
Not applicable

I am also having this problem on two new servers I just installed Backup Exec 2014 on.  The job will not complete until the I respond to the alert.  The servers are at remote sites and I eject the media so the non-IT people can just take out the tape... and they know that the backup completed. ??