cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Create a token object?

kha
Level 4

Does Backup Exec 2014 requires service account to have the right "Create a token object"?  If it does, in which case it needs and which case it doesnt?

I freshly installed the Backup Exec 2014 on a new server (not upgrade).  Then I restored the backup jobs using the BEXEC 2010 "catalog" and "Data" folders.

I read 2 articles, one explicitly says Backup Exec 2014 doesn't need this right.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23689

Another one was updated earlier generally says that is one of the rights required.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36718

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

"Create a token object" is not required for BE 2014. If is a new install, it is not required and if its an upgrade, its highly possible the account did have this right (as previous versions of BE required it), however if not, there is no need to assign this right for an upgrade either.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  No it is not required by Backup Exec 2014, refer here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH223409

kha
Level 4

When opened a support case with Symantec, the support person webexed to my backup server, she said I have to put my backup service account to the local policy "create a token object".

I told her and gave the the first link saying that it's not required anymore according to that article.

She then gave me the 2nd  link saying that it's required.

Then later she said it's required because I upgraded from previous Backup Exec version.

1. I freshly installed backup exec 2014 on a new server.  Then, restored the 2010 "Catalog" and "Data" folders.  Is that considered as upgrade?  
  2. Is that true the "creae a token object" right still required if you upgrade from older BEXEC version to 2014?

So many different sources says slightly different things, i don't know which to believe.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. To do an upgrade, you need to run the BE 2014 installer on the media server and it will do an in-place upgrade You should not have restored the Data directory because it contains the BEDB and the BEDB for different versions of BE is different. Also, the upgrade process to BE 2014 will do some conversion of your disk storage

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

"Create a token object" is not required for BE 2014. If is a new install, it is not required and if its an upgrade, its highly possible the account did have this right (as previous versions of BE required it), however if not, there is no need to assign this right for an upgrade either.

kha
Level 4

We reused the DATA and CATALOG folders because we want to use all the old jobs that we created.

It was a very frustration webex with Symantec support.  I wasted few hours just for the support person to poke around.  

I was about to recreate the backup jobs mannually.  The Symantec advanced support person called me and he got it working within 5 minutes.  Long story short, this article has something that is so important and it's written incorrectly.  The Upgrade versions in the table (below 7c) should not have the .0 at the end.  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech50537

The Symantec support guy gave me that article.  Then the 2nd guy with webex to my machine, he followed that article (looks like). We couldn't get it to work just because that extra 0 at the end.

We had the machine fresh reinstalled.  So, we did fresh installed BE 2014 as well, but just used the backup CATALOG and DATA folders.

kha
Level 4

Thank you for the confirmation, VJware!!  It was so frustrated when the Symantec support person kept insisting that I need to grant the service account the "create a token object" right even with the article I sent her, she still made up a reason for me to put that in place.