Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 and EMC Atmos Geodrive

betschart
Level 2
Partner

Hi

As i can see here Backup Exec 2012 doesn't support EMC Atmos Geodrive.

Is EMC Atmos Geodrive supported with BE 2014 again?

Or is it maybe compatible with the EMC Atmos REST API?

Regards

Iwan

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Iwan,

Check the BE 2014 HCL below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech214803

Atmos is not listed as being supported at all.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Currently. the only cloud storages compatible are Quantum's Q-Cloud & Riverbed appliances. No other cloud storage (including Atmos) is mentioned.

CraigV

...pretty much what I stated I guess.

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Geodrive has nothing to do with Cloud anything.  Geodrive is a CIFS share off an ATMOS cluster.

And the HCL is not definiitve at all as we've seen over the years/ decade.  All it says is that Symantec has tested and verified functionality, and not the holy grail of only those things work.  A storage company has to be proactive and submit hardware to test at the Symantec Quality Labs,  This costs money and time for the likes of EMC and others.

That said, it's pretty easy to test backing up to a CIFS share, and test restores.  But keep in mind that the way geodrive works is a single connection, writing to I think a single node in the cluster, so performance will not be that great.  At least that is how I think geodrive works with ATMOS.

VJware
Level 6

Geodrive has nothing to do with Cloud anything.  Geodrive is a CIFS share off an ATMOS cluster.

Actually it does, verbatim ~

EMC Atmos GeoDrive is a no-charge add-on software product available to licensed Atmos customers that provides fast, simple, instant access to any Atmos cloud.  

teiva-boy
Level 6
Thats marketing, you haven't really any idea what ATMOS is do you? If its hosted on prem, is it still cloud? If i cluster a bunch of server/storage nodes and provide a cifs share off it if, is it still cloud? How is that any different than Netapp FAS that offers object storage and cifs? Or Isilon, etc? Cloud means many things. ATMOS is many things, but its sold first as local on-prem storage and second as a hosted platform from the likes of ATT, Verizon, etc. I really hate the word cloud as used today....

VJware
Level 6

Even if one manages to get it working, it would be considered as a non-supported environment (as Geodrive is) if you work with tech support on any case.

betschart
Level 2
Partner

Hi all

Itis a cloud storage of a provider yes, and he offers geodrive or REST API to access it.

But as you can see here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-destination-disk-backup-exec-2010r22012

..it was not working with BE2012, has anyone tested it with BE 2014?

I also know, that's not the best performance, but for backup copies and for the datavolume i need it, it should work.

CraigV

OP: Go with what Symantec support...not what you are advised too. If you go down the road of using something unsupported and run into issues, I promise you that no accountability will be taken by a non-Symantec employee on these forums.

Thanks!