cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 cannot restore mailbox items

YM_user
Level 4

We have VM Server with AD 2008 R2 VM and Exchange 2010 with Win 2008 R2 Enterprise. We use Symantec Backup 2014 V-Ray with recent purchase installed in AD 2008 R2 VM to make backup of Exchange VM to one NAS. Exchange VM backup is completed successfuly. When try to restore individual mail items from that backup, it show "The job failed with the following error: Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown Exchange Web Service errors." How to solve it? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you install the Exchange 2010 management tools on the BE server ?

Does the BE service account has an unique mailbox ?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you install the Exchange 2010 management tools on the BE server ?

Does the BE service account has an unique mailbox ?

YM_user
Level 4

Hi C00l,

Thanks for your reply. I think 2010 management tools have not installed on the BE server. Is options select when install BE. That mean BE service account need to add in Exchange cmdlet?

Regards,

YM

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The Exchange Management Tools need to be installed separately on the media server. The permission needed to backup Exchange is given in this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212113

YM_user
Level 4

hi pkh,

Thanks for your reply. Is also concern if enable GRT backup?

Regards,

YM

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Whether you enable GRT is optional.

YM_user
Level 4

hi pkh,

I have installed tools in media server, command typed (it shows administrator already exist in Exchange shell) and restart backup exec service but still can't.

Regards,

YM

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I think you need to do a backup after you have installed the tools before you can do GRT restores from it

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Was the Exchange VM backed up as a virtual machine using the VMware agent or as a physical machine using the RAWS agent ?

If the latter, are all roles on a single Exchange server ?

YM_user
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. License we use V-Ray edition. All roles are in one Exchange Server. Backup method select VM Server->Edit>only select Exchange VM and opinions "Enable GRT for Microsoft Exchange mailboxes database and items on virtual machine"

I have enable Symantec debug but dont know where the problem is.

Job Monitor log show:

Job ended: Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 5:56:09 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00003bf - Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown Exchange Web Service errors. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-959

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try the solution in this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190749

YM_user
Level 4

Still can't.

In EWS log, I have found that:

[10a4] 11/22/14 10:40:43  Exception in FindFolder The server to which the application is connected cannot impersonate the requested user due to insufficient permission.
[10a4] 11/22/14 10:40:43 ---EWSStore::OpenFolder---
[10a4] 11/22/14 10:40:43  Exception in FindFolder The server to which the application is connected cannot impersonate the requested user due to insufficient permission.
[10a4] 11/22/14 10:40:43 ---EWSStore::TestEntryId---
[10a4] 11/22/14 10:40:43 ---EWSStore::OpenFolder---

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212113

I have typed before.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Well, EWS is still reporting insufficient permissions. Run the following command via powershell on the Exchange server:-

test-webservicesconnectivity -MailboxCredential $(get-credential) -TrustAnySSLCertificate  | FL

Enter the BE credentials and check if there are any failures or not. This is test the EWS connectivity outside of BE.

Lastly, verify the steps as per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH168297

YM_user
Level 4

Thanks for your help!! (pkh,ZeRoC00L,VJware)

The problem I found is backup exec logon account and its mailbox should exist in current Exchange Server 2010. I create 'backup' account for assigning administrators group and mailbox organization group, creating its mailbox and then backup exec account use 'backup' account to authorize Exchange VM and become successful.