cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 installation fails

benjier
Level 2

Hi,

I'm upgrading a Backup Exec 2010 R3 system to the recently released Backup Exec 2014. The system is a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 system running SP1 and the latest Microsoft Updates. During the installation I receive an "Operating system error caused the Backup Exec installation program to stop responding". Article TECH212156 indicates the problem but the solution is to simply "install a Microsoft Hotfix".

Please help.

Thank you.

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

benjier
Level 2

hi,

Actually we solve the problem ourselves. The problem was an issue in .Net 4. Even though we had applied lots of patches, my guess, is that .Net 4 had become somewhat corrupted. So we re-installed .Net 4 and a hotfix that applied to a specific problem that we had seen regarding "ItemList". Once we did that the installation got past the problem and we're continuing with the installation itself.

Interesting since .Net 4 isn't mentioned as a requirement anyway.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ben,

Make sure that your OS is:

A] Supported on the BE 2014 SCL;

B] Fully patched.

If yes to both, and if an AV is installed, then stop all the BE services and stop the AV's services and then try the upgrade again.

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

If still not working after the above steps it might be that the download was corrupt.  Try downloading the installation again to a different location or burn the ISO to a new dvd

benjier
Level 2

In reply to CraigV and Imosia:

1. Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 is listed in the Compatibility Guides.

2. We're running SP1 and have applied all Windows Update patches.

3. AV is turned off and services stopped. BE services also stopped.

Re-downloaded new kit from different machine to different location and same issue occurs.

As I'm upgrading from BE 2010 R3 and it's a physical machine with a Tape Loader my options are a bit limited.

Is there any way to log the installation progress? The failure occurs while it is verifying portions of the rest of the kit (i.e. _setup.exe seems to be checking the kit and the setup itself fails; no questions have been asked).

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...checking the kit? As in the hardware? If so, disconnect it and try again...

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is there any way to log the installation progress?

The install log should be at

file:///C:/ProgramData/Symantec/Backup%20Exec/Logs/bkupinst2014.htm

or something similar.

Can you test the download on another machine to at least see if it will bring up the splash screen & choices?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Additionally, do check the event viewer - application logs if there any relevant errors/warnings recorded or not.

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Since you are upgrading from the previous Backup Exec version you must install the latest patches before doing so. The latest updates are:

Service Pack 4
Hotfix 212812

Check here for reference:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-updates-service-packs-and-hotfixes-are-released-backup-exec-2010-r3-version

If still having the errors please upload the installation log for the review

benjier
Level 2

hi,

Actually we solve the problem ourselves. The problem was an issue in .Net 4. Even though we had applied lots of patches, my guess, is that .Net 4 had become somewhat corrupted. So we re-installed .Net 4 and a hotfix that applied to a specific problem that we had seen regarding "ItemList". Once we did that the installation got past the problem and we're continuing with the installation itself.

Interesting since .Net 4 isn't mentioned as a requirement anyway.