cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on migrating BE 2010 R3 to 2014 on new hardware/OS

Mike_Celone
Level 3

I recently got our BE 2014 upgrade and I had a question about how to best upgrade my environment.  We have a CASO server running BE 2010 R3 and an additional BE 2010 R3 MMS.  Both servers are running Windows 2008 R2.

I would like to move my CASO to a new server running Windows 2012.  However all the knowledge base articles I found don't seem to apply if you are changing the OS at the same time.  So what's the best way to move a CASO to a new server with a different OS? 

I guess I could install Windows 2008 R2 on the new server,  Move the CASO, upgrade to BE 2014, and then finally upgrade the OS to Windows 2012.  However this seems pretty messy and prone to errors.  Is there a better way?

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Since Backup Exec 2012 cannot be installed on a Windows Server 2012, your plan is what I see as the simplest way to upgrade your platforms/environment.

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mike,

Great questions! We have posted a new technote which addresses exactly what you are asking (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech67768). How to move the BE configuration to new software/hardware. However, the caveat is that as we make Backup Exec easier to use for our customers, it brings along with it more simplicity at the cost of more inter-dependencies between the components. So what we found as we tested 2014 for this technote is that you need to keep the configurations the same across the old and new OS's.

Hope this helps,
Nick