cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 9.1 Detects Wrong Media Type

Paul_Biggs
Level 3
I have an Certance Ultrium LTO-3 tape drive that is part of an autoloader that is being detected incorrectly within Backup Exec 9.1. The autoloader and tape drive are detected correctly under Windows but, Backup Exec shows the media type as HIC instead of LTO. I am not familiar with the HIC media so, I am not sure how close they are. However, does anyone know why an LTO drive would show up as a HIC instead of LTO? More importantly, how can I get it to see it as LTO instead of HIC?

A little history... I was backing up to tape on this unit before never realizing that it was set to HIC. Down the road when I needed to do a restore, I noticed that my catalogs were in poor shape. It started out fine but, later on I only had a handful of days per month that I could restore from. When I tried to catalog from the tapes, I would get block and inconsistency errors.

I now have a new autoloader (same make and model - the drive went bad and is under warranty) hooked up to a new server (going through a server upgrade process) with a fresh install of Windows 2003 SP1 and Backup Exec 9.1. No other applications are loaded. It still shows as HIC instead of LTO.

I ran the updated drivers from Veritas through this link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

That didn't change anything. I'm not certain if the wrong media type is the cause for the block and inconsistency errors but, it is something that should be fixed anyway. It would be nice to rule it out also. I have checked this forum as well as Google and couldn't find anything that was close to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

Patrick_Goggins
Level 3
If it's any consolation I have the same problem with a quantum Superloader 3 LTO-3 version running backup exec 10d. Everything looks normal just can perform any functions because of a media type mismatch, check the tape drive and shows as HIC instead of LTO. The drivers are the Symantec ones from March 2006, tried the two other ones for the drive from certance's site to no avail either.

Patrick_Goggins
Level 3
So tried uninstalling 10d and reinstalling 9.1, setup goes through fine and can select LTO for the media type but when checking the drive properties again instead of the HIC it's doing nothing but *** and then gets lost as usual unfortunately.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't support the LTO-3 autoloaders yet which doesn't make much sense but after checking the compatibility lists it never mentions LTO-3 just LTO and LTO-2

I tried replacing the firmware on the tape drive per a suggestion from a contact I have with a guy who works on an LTO-3 qualstar unit. Didn't help though, still have the same problem.Message was edited by:
Patrick Goggins

Patrick_Goggins
Level 3
Did some further digging and well I am thinking these are they same unit and that the Gateway model is just a rebranded quantum(not surprising cause last I checked Gateway never was in the tape drive market).
http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/SuperLoader3/Index.aspx
http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/proddetails.asp?seg=cp&system_id=gtwy823lto3

Ok, here's a couple places i've done the walkthroughs for:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280016.htm this is the error message but not the solution for this case
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm surprise surprise the hardware is somewhat listed "BENCHMRK CERTANCELTO3 LDRCLL6400", correct drive wrong setup though.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237047.htm thanks but still didn't help.

Which leads me down another path which is that of hardware which isn't being detect correctly because veritas doesn't know what exactly it is. From what I can this style backup unit has been around for awhile(in form factor, not drive) with the LTO-1 & LTO-2 versions being out for awhile but then the LTO-3 version was added beginning of this year(correct me if i'm wrong).

Now, the package I received contained with it an OEM copy of Backup Exec 10d for windows servers. Which upon installing results in the same problem with misdetecting the drive but locks on another hardware type.

Any Ideas?

Dave_Sinclair
Level 2
I am having the same problem with a new Dell Ultrium 3 drive. Has there been anything further found on this problem.

Patrick_Goggins
Level 3
Yep, we got it working this past weekend.

1. Backup Exec 9.1 does not work with the autoloader we have.
2. Backup Exec 10d does not work with the autoloader we have from factory.

IF you apply the patches for 10d to 10.1.5629 Service Pack 1 (I recommend all the way) it does work correctly. The media is recognized as HIC on the tape drive but the autoloader works without any problems now running 10d.

BTW, we did not format the server first. Uninstalled 9.1, rebooted, deleted any left-over files for 9.1, delete all registry settings for 9.1, reboot, install 10d, reboot, patch, reboot, patch, reboot, patch, reboot, ect.... after finish patching initialize, inventory, and backup:P

Problem Solved.

Dave_Sinclair
Level 2
I also got it to work with the Dell LTO3 by un-checking the "barcode" box. and then labling the media it picked up the barcode as the lable and work fine.

Patrick_Goggins
Level 3
So 9.1 doesn't support the barcode reader functionality, interesting.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Thomas,

Could you please update us on the status on the issue..

Revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Paul_Woltman
Not applicable
Move it to the answered questions pool.

General Solution: For using this style tape library 2U LTO-3 made originally by Quantum but may be relabeled under Dell, Gateway, and others is to one of the following to options.

1. Disable the barcode which should correct the problem (I verified this on another system)

or

2. Upgrade to version 10d(10.1) with current patching or newer as it supports the library fully.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Marking as assumed answered as issue is resolved.