Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Database on SQL Server

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

Just quite confused with the Backup Exec Database.

We have a SAN environment and all of our 5 servers are Media servers where each of them has Backup Exec 12.5 and they are backing up their own application and databases. 

Oracle 10g , Oracle 9i , Exchange 2003 , Exchange 2003 , Exchange 2003 and SQL 2005

I'm done configuring and installing the first five. My next task is to install the Backup Exec 12.5 on our last server which is the SQL 2005 to backup its databases.  I don't start yet since I am confused which Symantec Backup Exec Database to choose from on the installation wizard. Will it be the Microsoft SQL Express or the existing SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 instance on the network? With the first five I always choose the Microsoft SQL Express but with this server I don't know what should be used.

Kindly help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please proceed with letting Backup Exec install its own instance on this machine. We recommend keeping Backup Exec database on its dedicated instance, as we might end up restarting services during maintenance. Hence, your production may get impacted if you host Backup Exec database on a production SQL instance. Hence, go ahead and let BE install its own instance. It would install SQL Express 2005, Service Pack 2.

Mark this as solution, if this answers your question.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Hi

Please proceed with letting Backup Exec install its own instance on this machine. We recommend keeping Backup Exec database on its dedicated instance, as we might end up restarting services during maintenance. Hence, your production may get impacted if you host Backup Exec database on a production SQL instance. Hence, go ahead and let BE install its own instance. It would install SQL Express 2005, Service Pack 2.

Mark this as solution, if this answers your question.

Thanks

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Hi Hemant,

Thanks for your urgent reply. Just want to check if I get things right.. Upon installation of Backup Exec Server you want me to choose the SQL Express that's the own instance of Backup Exec right?..and follow up question. If the SQL Server installation path is on the Drive C, would there be no conflict if the installation path for the SQL Express is on the Drive C as well? The default path if I choose the SQL Express is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\..thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
There would be no conflict, as SQL express will create its own folder. So, go ahead with install and use default path.
Thanks

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
Thanks so much Hemant..I'll try and Mask this as solution if everything works fine..

Optimus_Prime
Level 5
Partner
So far, it works fine using SQL Backup Express
thanks so much