cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Encryption

Curt_Hayes
Level 4
Does anyone know when version 11 will be released. I need to implement encryption for my organization and instead of changing products i would prefer to wait for the new version. Any other recommendations?
3 REPLIES 3

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4
You can at least add password protection for a backup job.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

You can protect the backup data by giving a password. Do the following to
achieve the same.
1.Open backup exec
2.Select the data to be backed up or edit the job definition
3.Click on devices and media tab
4.Select "Password protect media" option and give the password.
5.Run the job.

When a password-protected media is taken to another location, such as
another media server, the password is required to catalog the tape.\

There is no direct way to prevent a user from restoring the backed up tapes
on the media server.

However, you can delete the existing catalog from the server. In this way, catalog should be run before restore. As the tapes were password protected, password will be required for cataloging the tapes.

1. Create a backup job by specifying password in the "Password protect media", as mentioned in the earlier mail

2. Go to Devices tab > double click the media shown in the upper right pane and compare the Media ID shown with the file name present in the \program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\Catalogs folder. This file is related with the catalog of the tape.

You can delete this file after stopping all Backup Exec services. After deleting this file the backed up data will not be listed in the Restore selections. When the restore is required, you need to run catalog with password specified in the catalog job. Otherwise, the catalog will not run.

Please note that there is no way to restore the data from the tapes without the password, when the tapes are password protected.

Thank You,

Shweta

Curt_Hayes
Level 4
11 has been released but my post was never answered.