cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Issue

RakeshKumar
Level 2

Hi All,

First of all i would like to say i'm not backup guy but because we are facing some issue so wanted to know better solution and understanding. We have backup exe 2014 with latest service Pack and using it to take backup on tape. Currently we have 14 different jobs running which is takes around 36 TB data backup and backup method for file is "By Modified Time". We take bacup of VMs using Veeam backup solution and single folder is used to take incremental(.vib file) and full(.vbk file) backup. We are facing below problems

1. When we run full backup then 7 jobs out of 14 takes .vib & .vbk files on tapes but all jobs has same configuration. wanted to know why this is happening and how we can comeover from this issue.

2. All backup jobs has backup verification enabled which takes more time than expected. Is it mandaory to have backup verification enabled. If yes or no then why. what is the best way to configure it. what will be the impact on restore if we disable it. If there is any impact on backup restore then how to comeover to it.

3. Is backup exec controls the speed of tape drive header for read & write in anyway.

let me know if i have to clarify more. Any help on above request will be highly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. Why not split out where Veeam writes too, and then direct BE to backup the folders accordingly? There could be some sort of clash where certain jobs see certain details. Direct a particular Veeam backup to its own folder and see if this works.

2. Yes, always recommended. However, don't verify directly after the backup...create a stage that does so. In this way, the backup completes and stops, before a standalone Verify job kicks off.

3. No. BE doesn't. It sends data to the tape as fast as it can, but smaller files cause the drive to stop/start a lot. Veeam files are generally large so you can expect the tape drive to run as fast as it can.

Thanks!

RakeshKumar
Level 2

Hi CarigV,

Can you help me with more information about answers#2. i mean how to do it.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Edit the backup job and choose "Verify" on the left pane.

On the right side, you can either choose as a separate job or as a separate scheduled job.

RakeshKumar
Level 2

Hi VJware,

Can you suggest which one as per below screenshot.Will that reduce time for verification. will it allow to run other jobs in queue.

BE Verification.PNG

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Setting either of these options will not reduce the time taken for "verify". By letting the "verify" later, it can free up resources for other backup jobs. You can choose either the 2nd one or the 3rd one based on your setup.