cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Job History Fails to Display on Exchange Job

Otaku_Lord
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

I am running Backup Exec 11d.  The OS is Server 2k3 32-bit.

Our Exchange backup completes but it shows as "FAILED."  When I attempt to access the job history log the time it takes to open (when it doesn't fail) ranges from 3-10 minutes.  If I am successful in opening the log file the job lists any, and all, email headers per user that were deleted.  I have verified that the check box for logging individual exchange items has been cleared.

I have attached the log file which shows the individual emails per user listed in the log.  Is there any way to prevent this?  Are there any other suggestions I might try?
8 REPLIES 8

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It seems that you have enabled the detail logging in the Job log due to which the size of Job log is also large. Suggest you to go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>JOB LOG and select the first option " Summary information only ". Refer to the technote " http://support.veritas.com/docs/309301 "

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I beleive you are backing up individual mailboxes using the legacy method .(brick level backup of exchange )
With backup exec 11d you only need to backup Information store with the Grt option checked in the backup job properties .
If you are backing up individual mailboxes using the legacy method the backup job will take too much time and there would be failures in the job .
To disable the legacy mailbox support you would need to go to Tools --Option --Ms Exchange .--- Uncheck the legacy support option here .
Make sure you uncheck the MS exchange mailboxes and public folder selection before you uncheck the option ..
the only selection you need to have is infromation store .
The account whcih should be used to perform backup needs the following rights and permission
Domain admin
Exchange organaization admin
shud have send and receive as rights
the account needs to be a unique account (shud have a unique name eg symantec or veritas
shud have a mailbox enabled and the mailbox should not be hidden from GAL

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
See this article how you need to setup your account and backup:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288777.htm

Otaku_Lord
Level 3
Checked the setting and that is what it is already showing.  To be exact, the settings are:

Information to include in log:  Summary information only
Prefix for job log filename:  BEX

Otaku_Lord
Level 3
As with the previous two post I verified that all the settings were correct.  I went step-by-step through the article and everything appears to be set up correctly.

Otaku_Lord
Level 3
Under the backup header, we have the following selected:

Method:  Copy-Databases and Logs
Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from IS backups

These are the same settings we have had for as long as I have worked here.  IT has been only in the last week or two that we started getting that error message.

I also verified the administrative account to be sure that it has the proper permissions, which it does.  Both Domain Admin and Exchange Services/Domain Servers are on this account..

Otaku_Lord
Level 3
Just as an addendum, I am adding screen shots of the settings in TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> MS EXCHANGE as well as TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> JOB LOG.  If there are any other screenshots that anyone can think of let me know!

Also, I was reading the job log that I posted earlier and it says that all of the files listed are corrupt.  Is that an issue with Exchange then?

Also, log showing V-79-57344-33928 on every entry.  I am researching that now.

Otaku_Lord
Level 3
Is it possible to remove the log posted at the top of this inquiry?

Here are a few examples of the errors listed in it:

=========================================================================
Access denied to file Zandos, Tony [tzandos]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?Re: Aerosil.
WARNING: "\\INCMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Zandos, Tony [tzandos]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?Re: Aerosil" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to file Zuniga, Homero [hzuniga]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?Refacciones linea 7.
Access denied to file Zuniga, Homero [hzuniga]?Top of Information Store?Inbox?cierre de T 1.