cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows servers service keeps stopping

F_H
Level 3
Hey everyone,

I've read some similar threads related to this problem I'm having but I can't find a solution. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I currently use Backup Exec 10.0 (without SP 1) on a Windows 2000 Server. I haven't had a problem using Backup exec since I first installed it six months ago. I now discovered that the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows servers service keeps stopping. The backup exec utility does not work when this service is stopped. I check the event viewer and all it tells me is that the service has terminated unexpectedly. I try to restart the service and it tells me that port 10000 is currently in use by another application. What I don't understand is that I didn't install any new applications and I'm only backing up files locally. It appears that the backup exec utility relies on the remote agent service even though I'm not backing up any remote servers.

On top of that, Backup Exec thinks that the local server is a remote server so when the remote agent service stops, I get an error message saying that it can't connect to the local machine! Is it possible to just uninstall the agent?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that evenif you do not backup th eremote server backup exec does use the remote agent to backup the local servers.

As Backup exec remote agent service stops,

Verify if the Bcakup Exec remote agent service is running under Local system account?
-- Also verify in the Backup exec remote agent's properties if hardware profile is disabled.
-- If it is disabled enable it.

-- Please update us on this issue.
=========================================
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

F_H
Level 3
Hey,

Thanks for replying.

The remote service is using the local account.

How do I access the hardware properties for the remote agent? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

F_H
Level 3
Ok, I installed the latest hotfix and it appears that the problem has been solved. The remote agent service has not quit on me since I installed the patch yesterday.

Thanks!

John_Yoo_2
Level 2
Hi,

What is the hotfix you have installed?

I have the same problem.

Remote agent on my 2nd server keeps "terminating unexpectedly" and only way to restart the service is to reboot the server.

Please help.

Thanks

John_Yoo_2
Level 2
BTW, the Software on server 1 & the Remote Agent on server 2 are both running on Server 2003