cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec SR 2010 & 2011: drive vs. file/folder backup

Daria9000
Level 3

The computer I'm backing up has two drives, one for the OS and apps, one for data.  I'm using drive backup for both because some time in the past it seemed to me that the file/folder backup was not doing what I expected.

But I'm upgrading to 2011 and devising a new backup strategy.  It makes sense to me to continue to use the drive backup for the OS & apps drive since I'm less likely to be aware of when I'm upgrading/adding one thing or another, and if I need to do a restore am more likely to need to restore the entire drive to a particular time..  But I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are for the data drive when it comes to drive backup vs. file/folder backup especially given that I do, indeed, want to do regular full & differential (daily) backups of ALL the files on the drive.

Please note:  I don't use "My documents" or any of Microsoft's other "user friendly" options.  The data drive is large and has a deep and wide directory structure.  I would rarely expect to have to restore the entire drive but might frequently want to restore individual files or a particular directory tree or branch.  It seems to me that when I started using 2010, the file/folder backup insisted on skipping lots of files I wanted backed up no matter what I did.  This could, of course, have been user error from misunderstanding how to set things up.  But now, as I said, I'm revamping my backup procedures and am wondering what the relative advantages/disadvantages are. 

Is there, for example, a difference with respect to full vs. differential backups between the two strategies? Or the ease of restoring files to a certain point in time?  Or a difference in disk usage or backup/restore times?  (The NAS I've got right now is, to be kind, slow.)

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It seems to me that when I started using 2010, the file/folder backup insisted on skipping lots of files I wanted backed up no matter what I did

What specific files were being skipped?  there should be no difference between doing a volume level backup and separate shares/folders on a volume as far as backing up or not backing up specific files

I'd tend to go with backing up Admin Shares (C$. D$ etc.)  If you are grabbing specific folders, and someone adds a new folder, then you need to edit the selection list.  Grabbing the each admin share will grab everything on that share now and in the future, with no further messing about

Likewise if a folder is removed (project cancelled or whatever)  If you are using Admin Shares, you are covered with no intervention on your part

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR, now SSR (Symantec System Recovery)) or Backup Exec?  These are two different applications and the answers that you require would be different for each of the products.  SSR has its own separate forum. This applies to all your other questions.