cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Server failed - question about recovery

mtaylor
Level 3

We recently had our Backup Exec 2010 R3 server crash and burn and is not recoverable. Luckily the dedupe backup folder was located on another storage device. Is it possible to bring up another server and point it at our existing backups? Will it recognize them? If someone could provide instructions or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No on both accounts. The new media server will read and import the dedupe folder once it is catalogged. However, ifyou want to make this the new media server, then you'd need to push-install the RAWS agent to any other VMs you want to backup, and this will automatically change the media server to which it communicates, or log onto each remote server you have and manually change the details in the Publishing tab.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi,

Add the dedupe folder to the new server and catalog it. THis would add everything back in terms of what's on the dedupe folder, but you need to recreate your backup jobs, policies, selection lists etc.

Make sure that you backup at least bedb.bak as this allows you to recover all jobs, job histories etc.

Thanks!

mtaylor
Level 3

Does the name or IP of the server need to be the same?

CraigV

Hi,

No on both accounts. The new media server will read and import the dedupe folder once it is catalogged. However, ifyou want to make this the new media server, then you'd need to push-install the RAWS agent to any other VMs you want to backup, and this will automatically change the media server to which it communicates, or log onto each remote server you have and manually change the details in the Publishing tab.

Thanks!

mtaylor
Level 3

Great, thank you!!

mtaylor
Level 3

I have the new server up and running. When I go to create a new dedupe folder I point it at the existing depdupe folder but it comes back with this error: "An error occurred while creating the deduplication folder. See the following link..."  Could it be a permissions issue? I'm not certain what account I was using to access the folder before. Is there a way to reset the permissions?

mtaylor
Level 3

I checked the logs and I'm getting this error:

E:\BackupExecDeduplicationFolder\etc\puredisk\spa.cfg: verified OK
Error: 25012: Authentication failed, No such user backupexec !
Tue 01/19/2016  8:13:08.53 ERR: "G:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\spad.exe" --check_creds encountered an error.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The deduplication database has a separate account and username from those the Backup Exec Services or Backup Exec System logon.

Info here: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000005292

Quoting from: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000005534

-----

ATTENTION: The spauser utility prompts for the previous password before allowing the user to create a new password.  It is critical to keep track of this password.  If this password is lost  and the password is changed in the matching Backup Exec logon account, it will not be possible to bring this Deduplication folder online again.

----

Of course this quote implies you know the username as well which from the error message you provided might mean you do not. Both links provided above give a command to show the username however you will still need the password.

mtaylor
Level 3

I ran the spauser -l command to see if it would show me the user and got this error:

Error: 2:
BadValue : (none)
File     : G:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\
Section  : Symantec\PureDisk\ContentRouter
Entry    : ConfigFilePath
Reason   : Empty or missing configuration directive, file not found or access de
nied.
Error: -1:  configManager->init failed!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This might be because of the drive letter change as you seem to have some things referencing E: and some G:  teh dedup folder wil need to be on it's original drive letter.

If it is not this then there may be not much more we can do via the forums.