cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Sharepoint backup Help

ThePump
Level 2

Hi Everyone, I really need some help and guidance when it comes to Backup Exec and backing up sharepoint.

Our organisation has sharepoint on another server which currently we run backups using the sharepoint central administration console. We want to change this process so Backup Exec backups the sharepoint farm automatically for us.

Backup Exec is installed on its own server, is there a guide on how to do this as I am a complete novice when it comes to backup exec and this is the first time I am using it and really need some help on how to backup our sharepoint farm using Backup Exec 2010 R3. I tried reading threw the Backup Exec admin guide but still can't get my head around the whole process.

Backup Exec Version - 2010 R3

Backup Exec Server - Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Sharepoint Server - Windows Server 2003 SP2

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to buy and install the Sharepoint agent on your media server.  After that, you will be able to back up the Sharepoint farm.  When you create a backup job, you wll be able to see the Sharepoint farm and select it for backup.

ThePump
Level 2

Is the media server the sharepoint server? I think we may have a sharepoint agent licence but the sharepoint agent is not installed. How do I go about installting the sharepoint agent as in the list I can not find the sharepoint server? Does the agent needs to be installed on the sharepoint server first for it to be displayed in the backup exec list?

Nitin_P
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi ThePump ,

First of all , please check if the license is installed through Help >>> About >>> license information.

1 . Once the license is installed on Backup exec Media server , Install remote agent on Sharepoint Server and reboot the remote server.

2 . After installing license , sharepoint node should be added to selection list. You will need to add a server farm and once done with correct credentials , you should see Sharepoint resources under it.

Please follow the links : 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21789

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157059

Is this single server farm or multiple servers farm ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) First, go to Tools --->  Install Licences and Options and check whether you have installed the Sharepoint licence and selected the Sharepoint. option.

2) The media server is the server which you have installed BE.  It may or may not be the Sharepoint server.

3) Go to Tools --->  Install Agent ...  and then push out the remote agent to the Sharepoint server.  Once the remote agent is installed on the Sharepoint server and it is re-booted, you should be able to see it in your backup selection list.

I would strongly recommend that you read the chapter in the Admin Guide which explains how to backup and restore Sharepoint.

Nabil_polska
Level 4
Employee Accredited

first you have to purchase the licence , whil you install it ,  connect the remote machine , restart services

then you will be able to see the resources related to sharepoint , run small backup test , if it fails pls let us know , some screeshots will be great .or job log

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you repeating what has been said earlier?  Do read this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/paraphrasing-answers