cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Showing Wrong information on tapes which are known to be full

Daryl_GIll
Level 3

Hello Guys.

I'm experiencing a problem with Backup Exec 2012.

I have recently installed another copy of backup exec, and performed a catalog and inventory on the tapes that are in the library.

The problem is that once the process is complete, Backup exec is showing that there is "37.5GB" Free on tapes which are known to be full. The Restore tap is showing that the tapes empty.

I have tried importing the catalogs from our other server into the fresh installation, but this provided no luck. I deleted the catalogs from the directory and restarted a inventory/catalog. This also provided no luck.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem or can anyone provide a nice response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...showing a bit of free space shouldn't be too much of an issue, but not showing data would be. Have you checked to make sure that the date range is correct? As in the From and To in the Restore tab? This might be a donkey's-years old issue that crops up where BE either doesn't select a date, or selects dates from decades ago.

Try setting this manually and see...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

...showing a bit of free space shouldn't be too much of an issue, but not showing data would be. Have you checked to make sure that the date range is correct? As in the From and To in the Restore tab? This might be a donkey's-years old issue that crops up where BE either doesn't select a date, or selects dates from decades ago.

Try setting this manually and see...

Daryl_GIll
Level 3

Quick and simple response, thank you.

Was looking at the tapes, and the to and from data where in a space of a week, but prior to posting this. Backup Exec restore tab was not showing that a C:\ Was present on the tapes. looking at the tabs, C:\ was showing and the "TO and FROM" Dates where changed. The Files shown.

That still doesnt explain why 37.5GB was being shown free on a tape which is full. Oh well, thank you for the response!

CraigV

...that error gets annoying! Not sure why it wasn't fixed.

However, if your tape drives are at different firmware levels or the media servers are at different patch levels, it might explain why they see different data.

A simple restore will always verify that all your data is present.