cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Simple doubts

Kaydo
Level 2

Hello Simple question. I need to backup 70 computers from my domain just info no applications. What backup exec version do I need and what will be the cost, Can I buy this online?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well you'd need to consult the licensing guide for Backup Exec 2014, or direct those queries to the licensing department.

BE will certainly backup those workstations with the remote agent, but 70 workstations to tape...that's your choke point immediately. Unless you have a library with multiple drives to stream multiple jobs too, you're going to have the following:

1. Jobs fail if users turn off their workstations (unless you create a job per workstation, meaning every other workstation has to append to tape...and your append/OPP settings and job definition has to be 100% accurate then);

2. Jobs not finishing within your backup window due to the high amount of remote workstations to complete.

This is where DLO with its dedupe function is significantly better, unless you backup to disk using BE again (or even license the dedupe functionality) and then stream off to tape.

Here is the BE 2014 licensing guide:

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-or-21329872.pdf

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

70 servers, or 70 workstations?

If servers then you'd need a media server license for Backup Exec and 70 remote agents.

if workstations, then Symantec DLO is probably a better bet and it would back up to disk. You could stream this off to tape, but would then need Backup Exec for instance to do this.

Read up on DLO below:

http://www.symantec.com/desktop-laptop-option/

For licensing validation you can get hold of a reseller or Symantec's licensing department themselves. Both need to be purchased through a reseller, or online.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As well as CraigV's comment, the answer also might be affected by:

- the total size of data (GB/TB etc) being backed up and the quantity of individual files that make up the data as such do you have an idea of what this might be?

- whether or not you need to backup over slower WAN links or just LAN speeds and what the distibution of systems across slow WAN links is?

Kaydo
Level 2

Thank you CraigV and Colin for the prompt reply.

I meant 70 workstations and will be in the LAN the space required is 30tb. DLO is a great option with the inconvenient of save in disk. We want to save on tapes or SAN that's why i was looking for backup exec solution.

If i buy the Symantec Backup Exec Small Business Edition available to buy online and install it in a server. I will be able to backup the 70 workstations ?

About the price It's OK if i just buy this agent or i need something else to validate the licence ?

c.PNG

I'm Sorry to bother with all these questions but we really want a symantec solution.

CraigV

Well you'd need to consult the licensing guide for Backup Exec 2014, or direct those queries to the licensing department.

BE will certainly backup those workstations with the remote agent, but 70 workstations to tape...that's your choke point immediately. Unless you have a library with multiple drives to stream multiple jobs too, you're going to have the following:

1. Jobs fail if users turn off their workstations (unless you create a job per workstation, meaning every other workstation has to append to tape...and your append/OPP settings and job definition has to be 100% accurate then);

2. Jobs not finishing within your backup window due to the high amount of remote workstations to complete.

This is where DLO with its dedupe function is significantly better, unless you backup to disk using BE again (or even license the dedupe functionality) and then stream off to tape.

Here is the BE 2014 licensing guide:

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/other_resources/b-backup-exec-2014-licensing-guide-or-21329872.pdf

Thanks!

Kaydo
Level 2

Thank you much for the info CraigV.

CraigV

Sure thing!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If i buy the Symantec Backup Exec Small Business Edition available to buy online and install it in a server. I will be able to backup the 70 workstations ?

No.  The SB edition can only backup 2 servers other than the media server.

To backup 70 workstations, you would need the core BE licence plus 70 AWS licences. Alternatively you can explore getting the capacity edition for which you pay by the amount of data backed up.

See the licencing guide below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH229205