cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 drops user account for OST.

X30N_TSD
Not applicable

AAAAARRGGHH!!

ENVIROMENT:
Backup Exec 2014

CASO server in our DR faciltiy.  Only job running on it is the backup of the HQ BUExec Server

1 Member server in HQ.  500 jobs, but many duplicates etc so only 150 servers right now.

Main jobs: Start on Friday night (staggered start though the weekend) with fulls, and weekly incrementals.  backup to DataDomain 2500 using 3.0.1.0 plugin.

Duplicate to DDataDomain in DR.

12 concurrencies set on both OST devices.

DR's is shared so that the MAIN can duplicate to it.

90%+ are VMDK backups to disk with GRT active.

The latest issue is this:  If a server reboots (Say windows update) or hell even if services restarts, as in a service crash which unfortunately is still frequent, as in at least 2x's in the past week...the server can, and often does drop the name of the OST log in and about 1/2 the time switches it to the System Login Account.  Trying to get the two servers to both have the accounts active can take many many many service restarts, as when I set the DR login it requires me to restart services on BOTH machines, which then causes the member server @ HQ to loose its login to the local OST, and a viscous circle ensues until suddenly they both show up all happy like.   Of course it can take 15+ minutes after a service restart for the server to finish searching for devices, so I can spen HOURS just trying to get the names associated correctly.

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is the media server and any remote servers fully patched with the latest BE 2014 service pack and subsequent patches?

Are there any specific errors listed in either Event Viewer of the media server's Alerts section?

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If a server reboots (Say windows update) or hell even if services restarts, as in a service crash which unfortunately is still frequent, as in at least 2x's in the past week...the server can, and often does drop the name of the OST log in and about 1/2 the time switches it to the System Login Account. 

Is your OST account gone from the list of BE logon accounts?  or is the OST logon just not associated with the OST device anymore?  In other words, do you have to re-add the OST user name and password?

If the OST account is gone, that explains why it might default back to the System logon account, which cannot be used.

This sounds like some sort of database issue, either the OST logon account is being dropped or it is no longer being associated.  Unfortunately, I don't think the GUI will be much help in diagnosing the state of the database.  I haven't heard of this issue before.

I think your best bet is to work with tech support so that they can examine the BE database at the time that things are first discovered to be wrong.