Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Small Business Edition 2012

Sokamok
Not applicable
Partner

Hi,

I have a server 2008R2 running Hyper-V with two virtual instances, one SBS 2011 and one 2008R2.

The host has Backup Exec installed.

Vitual SBS 2011 has the agent installed

Virtual 2008R2 has the agent installed

After a program for archieving invoices etc has been installed on the 2008R2, I get an error on a database. In that connection they installed SQL Express 2012. I guess this is the cause of the problem.

My question : Do I need an extention / new agent to backup SQL on the Virtual server? Is it included in the license or do I need to order this ad in?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Greetings,

Yes You would require Application and database licence to backup the SQL Databases.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

If you are backing up the remote VM using Remote agent for Windows (RAWS) as if it is a physical machine then Yes you will require the license. But if you are taking backups using the Hyper-V agent then you will not require Agent for Application & Database license seperately as your complete VM (including SQL database) will be backed up using the Hyper-V agent. In case if you wish to restore individual database of SQL then that will again require the Agent for Application & Database license else not.

Thanks,

-Sush...

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

What is the error you are getting?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, you would need to have an Agent for Applications and Databases licence to backup the SQL instance in your 2008R2 machine.  However, you will not be able to install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence in the Small Business edition of BE.  See the licencing guide below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

You would need to upgrade your SBE edition to the normal BE edition to install the additional Agent for Applications and Databases licence.

Do confirm this with the Symantec Licencing department.