cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Upgrade 2012 to 15 process

iLikeCake
Not applicable

Hello

Currently we are running BE 2012 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with an attached tape library. I want to Upgrade the BE version and the server version. So the target installation would be Backup Exec 15 running on Windows Server 2012 R2 with an attached tape library.

Since I want to use the same machine as before I have to extract all the necessary information from the service and import them back into BE 15. So I am looking for articles or advice to migrate.

What informations do I have to migrate?

• Catalog
    • C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs
  • Settings
    • Where are they stored?
  • Data Directory
    • C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

Is it enough if I stop the Services on the old installation, copy the files to a temporary location, install and patch Windows Server 2012 R2, install BackupExec 15 according to the guide https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH229077 and copy the Catalog, Settings and Data Directory back?

Is there some SQL Database magic involved

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should do this 1) stop all the BE services and copy the Data and Catalogs directory 2) start all the BE services and upgrade to BE 15. 3) do step 1 again. step 1 is in case the upgrade fails. This is to backup the BE 15 version 4) either upgrade your OS or do a fresh install of OS and BE 5) if you are doing a fresh install then stop all BE services and replace the Data and Catalog directories with the copy from step 3 and restart all the BE services. If you are doing an OS upgrade, then this step is not necessary. The settings are in the BEDB which is in the Data directory

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should do this 1) stop all the BE services and copy the Data and Catalogs directory 2) start all the BE services and upgrade to BE 15. 3) do step 1 again. step 1 is in case the upgrade fails. This is to backup the BE 15 version 4) either upgrade your OS or do a fresh install of OS and BE 5) if you are doing a fresh install then stop all BE services and replace the Data and Catalog directories with the copy from step 3 and restart all the BE services. If you are doing an OS upgrade, then this step is not necessary. The settings are in the BEDB which is in the Data directory

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

You can upgrade the OS first if you want, done that before on a number of occasions. Depends on what order. The important part is grabbing copies of the Data/Catalogs folders.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 does not support Server 2012 R2, so upgrading the OS first is not possible.