cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec any changes needed after migration to Hyper-V 2012R2

itopman
Level 3

HI all.

I am currently migrating our VMware 4.1 virtual server to a Hyper-V environment, we have successfully migration 3 servers to the new Hyper-V environment, but have noticed that the backups are now failing, with the following errors

Backup- \\UK{Server}036.internal\E:
Access denied to file usr\sap\MED\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\sap.com\tc~wd~dispwda\servlet_jsp\webdynpro\...
Error reading security data stream.
Directory usr\sap\MED\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\sap.com\tc~wd~dispwda\servlet_jsp\webdynpro\resources\sa...
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \usr\sap\MED\J00\j2ee\cluster\apps\s...

These files and directories still exist

We are using Backup Exec 2010 R3 Version 13.0 rev. 5204 (32bit)

Any advise would be appriciated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Were the jobs recreated after the migration ? I would recommend to reinstall the remote agent as well.

Secondly is the Advanced Open File option enabled ? If not, pls enable it. If running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning any BE processes.

When running Windows Server Backup, ensure its schedule doesn't conflict with Backup Exec's. Do you see any VSS errors when the BE's backup fails ? Use "vssadmin list writers" to check on the remote servers.

Lastly, does this job back up just SAP raw data or SAP DBs as well ?

P.S> This is an user-contributed forum and the users (customers like yourself) aren't really obliged to answer nor is there a specific response time for them to do so. For any critical issues, you should be always logging a formal support case.

View solution in original post

itopman
Level 3

All working now after re installation of BE agent, although we did have a blue screen first thing this morning with one of the migrated servers, after checking the dump file it looked like a VMware driver issue was to blame.

Afte the migration even though VMware tools was removed prior to migrating some of the drivers are still left behind.  we had to open device manage with show hidden devices option (had to be added with command ‘set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1’ )

Then once opened and hidden devices shown uninstall all VMware related devices which removes the drivers, we are monitoring but dont expect any further issues.

Brian

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

itopman
Level 3

One other bit of info that mite be a contributing factor to this failing, on the Hyper-V VM we also install the feature Windows Server Backup as we are looking at running Data Protection Manager, and this needs this feature to work.

Brian

itopman
Level 3

is there anyone out there? or am just I wasting my time with this site?

This is a critical issue as the server is not been backed up so we have no point of recovery

VJware
Level 6

Were the jobs recreated after the migration ? I would recommend to reinstall the remote agent as well.

Secondly is the Advanced Open File option enabled ? If not, pls enable it. If running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning any BE processes.

When running Windows Server Backup, ensure its schedule doesn't conflict with Backup Exec's. Do you see any VSS errors when the BE's backup fails ? Use "vssadmin list writers" to check on the remote servers.

Lastly, does this job back up just SAP raw data or SAP DBs as well ?

P.S> This is an user-contributed forum and the users (customers like yourself) aren't really obliged to answer nor is there a specific response time for them to do so. For any critical issues, you should be always logging a formal support case.

itopman
Level 3

Morning, and thank you for the response.

I havent re installed the agent but have re started the services, will look at doing that today. I did stop all servicers prior to migration includling SAP, Oracle.

No the job(s) havent changed

Advance Open File Option, should be the same as prior to migration

Hyper-V using DPM to backup which doenst use VSS

It backs up all SAP and Oracle db's

I understand that its a forum, although I dont use forums very much but ones I have used have a much grater imput from its members, hence my comment.

Brian

pkh
   VIP    Certified
While it is not related to this problem, you might want to read my blog below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/can-i-backup-sap-database-sql-or-oracle-agent

VJware
Level 6

Hyper-V using DPM to backup which doenst use VSS

Afaik, DPM also uses the Hyper-V VSS writer to perform online backups, i.e. it does use VSS. Either ways, if using another backup application such as DPM, just ensure the backup via BE does not conflict with DPM's at all. Their backup windows must be completely excluding each other. In fact as a test, if you disable DPM's backups, does the full backup via BE complete successfully ?

Under Advanced Open File option, what is the snapshot provider set to ?

If running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning the BE processes.

itopman
Level 3

Appologies for not up dating this post but been on a different job so havent been able to carry out the tasks, I should be back on this tomorrow and will feed back then

Brian

itopman
Level 3

All working now after re installation of BE agent, although we did have a blue screen first thing this morning with one of the migrated servers, after checking the dump file it looked like a VMware driver issue was to blame.

Afte the migration even though VMware tools was removed prior to migrating some of the drivers are still left behind.  we had to open device manage with show hidden devices option (had to be added with command ‘set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1’ )

Then once opened and hidden devices shown uninstall all VMware related devices which removes the drivers, we are monitoring but dont expect any further issues.

Brian