cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec deduplication and encryption

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello experts,

I have a question regarding BE deduplication and encryption. While creating the deduplication storage, on the encryption step, it says "You should not use the Backup Exec encryption options for backup jobs that deduplicate data". I want to set up encryption for the backup data that will be residing in my deduplication storage. Correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I understood from the above statement:

1- While creating the deduplication storage, I should enable encryption.

2- While creating backup jobs, in the storage tab, I should NOT enable encryption.

This way my backups will be encrypted and deduplicated and no issues will rise regarding encryption/deduplication.

On the other hand, if I want to encrypt the backups going to tape, I should enable encryption inside the backup jobs? Is there anything I should configure/enable in the tape storage's properties or while configuring/adding the tape storage?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

1 REPLY 1

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

This is correct -

1- While creating the deduplication storage, I should enable encryption.  (enables secure communication)
2- While creating backup jobs, in the storage tab, I should NOT enable encryption.

For tapes, you can create a key in Backup exec. Make sure you remember the pass phrase and then you can use that to perform backup with encryption to tape