cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec in a Multi-server Environment

Erik_Bennett
Level 2
Here is my situation. What I'm looking for is someone to help me and lay out the best way to set up Backup Exec in the best possible way, using what I already have, or to tell me I need to get something new. (I did not set all of this up, which is why I am kinda lost.)

Servers:
Server 1: SBS 2003 SP1 (not R2)
Server 2: Win2003 Server Standard
Server 3: Win2003 Server Standard

Backup Exec:
Server 1: Backup Exec for Small Business Server Premium 10.0 SP4
Backup Exec for SBS Desktop & Laptop Option 10.0 (75 wkstation license)
Server 2: Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0 SP4
Server 3: Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0 SP4

I recently receivied in the mail a packet containing Backup Exec 10.1 both the for Windows Servers version and Continuous Protection Server.

My first question is, will this upgrade packet I got upgrade my existing SBS Backup Exec version as well as my Win2K3 versions?

Finally, I'd like some direction on the best way to set this up. As it stands now, I can log into each server and fire up Backup Exec from each one to monitor and run its own backups. I can log into the other server's Backup Exec from Server 2 as well.

I've read about remote installs? Do I need to run the Backup Exec software on each server to upgrade it, or should I put it on one of my servers and push install to the other two? Also, is there a way that I can have a copy of Backup Exec on my desktop computer that can log into the 3 server ones, or would that mean I would have to purcahse another copy of Backup Exec?

If you were starting from scratch with 3 servers and 3 copies (like I have) how would you set it up?
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Q.will this upgrade packet I got upgrade my existing SBS Backup Exec version as well as my Win2K3 versions?
-yes

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/281044.htm

Q.Do I need to run the Backup Exec software on each server to upgrade it,
- yes

or should I put it on one of my servers and push install to the other two?
-no

Q.Also, is there a way that I can have a copy of Backup Exec on my desktop computer that can log into the 3 server ones, or would that mean I would have to purcahse another copy of Backup Exec?
-here with the BE admin console you can connect to all 3 Media Servers

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I would have answered this earlier, but I was confused. You have 3 servers? Are these the only 3 servers you have? Are the servers on the same LAN? If so, having 3 copies of Backup Exec seems an expensive way of backing them up. Presumably you have 3 storage devices too?

Erik_Bennett
Level 2
Yes, just three servers all on the same LAN. As I said before, I didn't set this up, so if it seems like this is an expensive way to do it, I've got the "consultant" who was here before me to thank. Each server has a backup drive in it. We're looking at purchasing another server (a file server) so we're also going to be purchasing a robotic tape drive library to do backups as well.

What would you recommend for my current situation though?

Erik_Bennett
Level 2
Thanks for the responses Gauri. The only one I have a question to is the one about the admin console on my desktop. I used the install disk that came in the Backup Exec 10d packet and installed the admin console to my desktop. It never asked for a serial number, but now when I start it up, it says "Evaluation" in the startup splash screen where it normally would say "For Windows Servers". Is this normal? Or did I do something wrong?

Also, a new question. In my upgrade packet, I received a copy of Continuous Backup Server as well as the copy of Backup Exec for Windows. What is Continuous Backup Server in relation to the regular Backup Exec? Is it a separate license?

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The Evaluation Version message in the admin console is normal.
I think that consultant either didn't know Backup Exec or was taking the company for a ride! For the future I'd have BE installed on one of the servers, with the library attached. Then you'd need one additional Remote Client license, and install the remote agent to the other three servers.
CPS is a separate license I think.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Erik!

Yes, Continuous Protection Server will require separate license.

You may find more information on CPS at the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279483

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.