cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec issue with encryption

Glynnr
Level 2

Backup Exec 2010 (fully patched) running on Win Server 2003 fully patched on HP server, connected to HP Storagework base with Ultrium920 drive, I'm backing up Win2003/8 servers including SQL, all works fine.

Set up an encryption key etc and set backup to use software encryption - tape was ejected and backup was left in a "loading" state until cancelled. Had to reboot the server to get Backup Exec to "see" the tape drive.

Tried this backup twice and tried some test runs all with the same result.

Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glynnr
Level 2

It would appear that enabling encryption disables compression - hence the lack of errors, more a lack of tape.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RRE
Level 6

Check the Alerts tab for any message. check Alert history for the exact message

* It could be a possibility that the job that you are running is set to "overwrtite"  but the tape itself is not overwritable

This can be checked by going to the properties of the job & then Device & media tab. This is for the job. To see if the tape is overwritable or not , It can be checked by going to Devices tab

sids
Level 4

Disbale Encryption and try the backup, Also check If compression is enabled

Sids...

Glynnr
Level 2

there is nothing in the alerts tab as I had to manually cancel the job.

I'm using the same job to backup daily and it only goes wrong when I set the backup to encrypted.

the job runs fine when I do not select encryption - it overwrites the tape ok

Glynnr
Level 2

Disabled Encryption and the backup runs fine.

Compression is set to Hardware (if available otherwise none) will test setting this to none

Glynnr
Level 2

It would appear that enabling encryption disables compression - hence the lack of errors, more a lack of tape.