cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec was unable to initialize and communicate with the device (The system cannot find the path specified.).

del_i_iv
Level 3

Hi,

I run into a problem with my backup system:

1. I had a system (who did run smoothly) composed by :

- a robotic library FUJITSU ETERNUS LT S2  

- a backup server Fujitsu Primergy RX100 s8

2. I shutdown the system and moved it into another rack.

3. After restarting the system I have this error in Backup exec: 

Backup Exec was unable to initialize and communicate with the device  [FUJITSU ETERNUS LT S2   4.83] (The system cannot find the path specified.). 

I cleaned the Fiber chanel ports and cables and inserted them correctly.

I reinstalled everything on the server machine.

I did reset the robotic library machine.

Still not working.

Do someone know what this error means and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any explication you can imagine.

Please, do not hesitate to answer, even if you do not think it is realistic - I tested the most unlike theories the last week and I am willing to try anything.

Best Regards.

Emily.

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Emily,

Did you perhaps move FC switches as well? And if you did, was zoning done correctly?

Otherwise, try removing the library completely from Windows and BE and restarting the media server. Once done, reinstall the library and check again.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Do the robotic library and tape drives shwo up in Windows Device manager?  That is a major decision point that will guide your troubleshooting.  If Windows cannot see it, then that needs to be fixed first, before worrying about BE.

del_i_iv
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot for your answer cause I felt a little alone to solve his problem.

I do not have FC switches (like a Brocade or something), I use a direct FC connection between the 2 machines (meaning I use 2 FC cables for each FC port).

On my server I have a FC card with double port and on my robotic library I have 2 tape drives with FC connector.

Until a week ago everything worked fine ... no need for switches.

I have no idea what changed so drasticaly.

del_i_iv
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot for your answer cause I felt a little alone to solve his problem.

I do not have FC switches (like a Brocade or something), I use a direct FC connection between the 2 machines (meaning I use 2 FC cables for each FC port).

On my server I have a FC card with double port and on my robotic library I have 2 tape drives with FC connector.

Until a week ago everything worked fine ... no need for switches ... I have no idea what changed when I moved the 2 machines from a rack to another.

del_i_iv
Level 3

Hi Larry,

The devices are showing correctly in the device manager.

Moreover, I installed a diagnostic software and all the tests are OK, meaning I can see correctly for example the labels (bar-coded) of the cassettes in the library.

In Backup Exec (the new one I installed from scratch, on a newly installed OS (Operating System) ) I also see the labels of the casettes.

But if I try an "inventory & catalog" BE tells me no tape drive is ready.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

So, you have your desired (old) server that got recently moved & re-racked?  And you also have a newly built test server?

Please post the adamm.log file from each of the two servers.

del_i_iv
Level 3

Just in case, I installed anew Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise and Backup exec 2014 Trial.

The problem is the same.

I thought I crossed the 2 FC cables, so I tried to uncross them with same result.

Here is the adamm.log of the new server.

The old server (it is the same machine, but I took a Clonezilla image of the disk) can be restored but after January 5, 2015, because now I took some days off and I can only do Remote Desktop.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

The adamm.log looks a bit confused.  It looks like BE is seeing the robotic library twice, but at the same SCSI address (0001:0000:0000:0001).  Please double check your library setup and look for somehting called the "control path".  You want that enabled on one of the tape drives, but not both of the tape drives.

For whatever reason, BE is not getting all the proper information from the library.  The changer should have the two tape drives listed under it, but your log usually doesn't show anything there.  This example shows the desired "drive element" lines, but the quote marks should contain tape drive info.

0001:0000:0000:0001  Device Name             "\\.\Changer0"
                     Secondary Name          "\\.\Changer0"
                     Primary Inquiry         "FUJITSU ETERNUS LT S2   4.83"
                     Serial Number           "FUJITSU ETERNUS LT S2   LTDE65438544_LL0"
                     Device Flags            UMD, SCSI, SN(TYPE 0)
                     Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1007, {2D00C0BE-D26A-4705-A87D-95B12EBD0830}
                     Device Name             "Robotic library 0001"
                     Device Type             2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
                     Device Features         0x00006000: RMP,RRD
                     1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         24
                     Portal Slots            0
                     Import/Export           Manual
                     Drives                  2

Drive Element 0         0, ""  <-- there should be serial numbers here
                     Drive Element 1         0, ""

Make surte that Windows Device Manager is showing "unkwnon medium changer" for the library and not using some Fujitsu driver.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124860

This may help http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

A line like this makes me think that there may be FC communication issues.  Please make sure you are using a supported HBA and the latest drivers and firmware.

Serial Number           "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  <1000:0001:0000:0000:0000> " - Auto generated serial number.

del_i_iv
Level 3

Just changed the driver (and installed unkwnon medium changer).

The problem is still there.

DrAlex
Level 2

Hello del_i_iv!

Have you resolved the problem? We have the same porblem and trying to resolve the problem.