cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup FAILED: An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository..

Robin_Farrell
Level 3
An error occurred retrieving the WMI repository data directory.
The WMI repository could not be backed up.

I have been getting this error for 2 weeks now and every nights backup fails because of it, I have tried the fixes in the knowledge base and have even written a batch file to automatically rebuild the repository on the main server (on which backupexec is installed).

We are using this to back up 7 servers, can someone please tell me if its a different server I should be concentrating on or is it contained to the server backup exec is installed on??

Also can someone please tell me how to get rid of this error as it doesn't seem like veritas' OR microsofts solutions work:/
161 REPLIES 161

stephane_boulet
Level 3
Hi, Dont know if it will help, but I have the Same exact problem over here.
I found an interesting article on Microsoft web site talking about the wmi repository... You should all look at this..

also if you check your process on your Affected server can you see alot of llsmgr.exe process started..?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889405/en-usMessage was edited by:
stephane boulet

Dimitri_Putilin
Level 3
Update -- since I started disabling the WinMgmt service before backups and re-enabling it after, I have not experienced this problem on any of our servers.

I do get a bunch of error messages in the System event log stating that DCOM tried to start WinMgmt but could not because it's disabled. These messages are logged while the job runs, and disappear afterwards. Unsightly, perhaps, but harmless (and certainly less important than having my backups work!)

Best of luck to all...