cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failing when performing a Diff backup of our VMWare Server

USS
Level 3
We have a Win2003 SP2 server running VMWare and about five VMs on it. Each Sunday I power down the VMs and perform a normal backup without complications. During the week the Diff fails more than it completes. Following error is attached.

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error: "Catastrophic failure". To make sure that the VSS is not disabled and can be started, click Control Panel, and then click Administrative Tools. Open the Services, and start Volume Shadow Copy. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider returned the error: "Catastrophic failure". To make sure that the VSS is not disabled and can be started, click Control Panel, and then click Administrative Tools. Open the Services, and start Volume Shadow Copy. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

VSS 'is' enabled at the time of the backup kicking off. Before the backup fails, our What's Up Pro (monitoring app) sends us messages of the VMs that are on the server in question not pinging. The VMs don't reboot or shut down but they must lose connection on the time the snapshot is taken.

I am thinking that I may need to install AOFO on each of the VMs.......

Any advice on this is much appreciated.

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

Amer_Abid
Level 3
Hi There:

I am having the same issue when my VM's running, I have the same setting with BackupExec v 11d  with no problem.
Now with ver 12 i started to have this issue and it always lock the machins and they need to be re-estated..

Did you resolve this issue or you heard any thing from Symantec.

Your reply is highly appreciated,

Regards
Amirro

Nord
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue and it sounds like I have almost an identical setup, including whats up pro.

I only have the problem with a single VM the rest seem ok.

I also have an issue backing up the HOST server, it results in knocking the VMs offline when using VSS/AOFO.

did you ever manage to resolve this issue?

USS
Level 3
I have noticed that if I don't power down the VMs each Sunday the problem doesn't arise on the next backup (Monday)