cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job keeps running, but no data transferred. Backup Exec 12.5

Hutch
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

We just started seeing a new problem with Backup Exec, which appears to have started around the end of October, beginning of November.
Environment Details:

Windows 2003 x64 R2 with SP2
Dell LTO Drive - 114T with Ultrium 3 LTO drives
Backup Exec 12.5

We have 2 backup jobs that run every night.  One is strictly data, for our file server, etc.  The other looks after all the SQL databases, and the Exchange Store.  The Data backup runs and completes without issue.  The SQL\Exchange job however does not.

This job will run to a certain point transferring data, and then it just seems to stop.  However it shows in the Job Monitor, as running....however the Bytes transferred does not change.  We have had this job sitting there, for approximately 30 hours, with no change in status, etc.    NOTE:  checking backup agent on the target server also showed 0 activity.

In terms of troubleshooting, we did think it might be getting stuck at a particular server, as it seemed to at the same server, each time it stopped transferring data.  That being the case, we moved the server in question, to the bottom of the selection list.  The next time it stuck, the server was confirmed to not be the issue (it stuck at a different location).  In terms of size, the backup stops at approximately 280GB.  We are running 400\800 tapes, so should have lots of space.  Automatic response to alerts is not turned on, so if space was a problem, we should see some indication.  However nothing shows up. 

The only way to stop the job from running is either reboot the server, or shut down all BE services.  Once the Services are restarted, the job wil show as failed.  We tried upgrading to SP3 on BE to see if it would make a difference, but nothing changed.  At this point, we have no idea what is happening.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hutch

4 REPLIES 4

Hutch
Level 3
Anyone?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Hutch,

From my side I'd start by asking whether or not you rolled out your remote agents again after installing SP3.
Most of the time, when a service pack is installed, it includes updates that would be applied to the remote agents (RAWS) on the servers.
If you haven't, do that and try that job again.
Are you using AOFO? If so, turn it off...Symantec don't recommend using AOFO with database backups (Exchange and SQL).

Laters!

Hutch
Level 3
Ok..I will try that.  We did not roll out the Agents, but the upgrade cannot be the reason.  BE was doing this before I put SP3 on.....SP3 was an attempt to fix the issue...lol.

I will look at AOFO.  It is turned on, and has been working well...but at this point I will try anything.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Hutch,

Have you come right at all?