cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job taking long 46 hrs

ahmad123
Level 3
Hi - I am using BE to take full backup of 270 databases which are on single server. The max database size is 10 GB. The backup is using 30 media sets.It takes around 46 hrs to complete the full backup of all databases where as it takes only 1 hr 45 min from sql server native backups. There are total of 29 jobs scheduled for other backups also.
11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There are total of 29 jobs scheduled for other backups also.

Are these jobs running simultaneously?  If they are, then it is understandable that your backup is taking so long.  There will be a lot of contention for resources.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello there,
   Could you confirm if the Database Consstency Check before backups is enabled?? If Yes then could you check in the Job log if the Consistency check of the SQL databases are taking long time. You can also try the backups without the Database Consistency Check.
   Let me inform you that Database consistency Check is not performed by Backup Exec but it just gives the command to SQL to perform the consistency check. The Internal utility of SQL performs the consistency check and passes the result to Backup Exec
   If Consistency check is taking long time and not the actual backups of databases then you need to resolve the consistency check issue with SQL first.

TRY BACKUPS WITHOUT CONSISTENCY CHECK

Thanks
-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Symantec recommends you to use the Consistency check option but if that is taking longer time then you need to resolve the SQL issue first OR you may disable the Consistency check

ahmad123
Level 3
consistency checks are disabled. 

ahmad123
Level 3
yes these jobs are running simultaneously 2 of the backup jobs (both of which are slow) using same device names. These 2 jobs backup databases on different servers. I checked at sql level and found that the backups sessions have wait stats of backupbuffer , backupIO and AsyncnetworkIO. The jobs take full database backups at both server starting at 3 AM.
Simultaneous backup jobs shouldn't be a problem

The backups are being taken to a remote storage. I am not sure but does this setting effects the backup speed.
  Back up data in Remote Storage: No

Verify backup is enabled. I can't disable it.

ahmad123
Level 3
any suggestions??

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Try running your jobs one-by-one and see whether there is any improvement.

ahmad123
Level 3
is there a limit to number of concurrent job BE can supports?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It all depends on how powerful your servers are, memory, network bandwidth, etc.?  You got to experiment to find the right mix.

ahmad123
Level 3
thanks for your prompt reply...there are total of 10 active jobs..7 of which are writing to same device say X and x allows only 2 concurrent connections...thus out of 7 only 2 jobs are active and status of rest is SERVER PAUSED.  I created a new backup-to_Disk folder and created a new backup job. It's been 45 min since I started it but the status is server paused..though it is writing to different device.

ahmad123
Level 3
any suggestions...