cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Options + Scheme

parasus
Not applicable

IF THIS IS NOT EVEN FEASIBLE - LET ME KNOW PLEASE!

Would like to backup data from a server incrementally, backed up daily, and after a month of data collection the database file can be written over starting from the oldest backup date.

I have tested it out for a week, below are my settings, followed by the results:
Backed up Data to Disk, NOT Data to Disk to Tape

Server X
Media Set - Custom: Overwrite Protection Period: 1 Weeks / Append Period: 1 Weeks
Backup Job Properties:
*Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available
*Backup Method: Incremental - Using modified time
*Back up files and directories by following junction points

Results: Successfully did an incremental backup of server X, yet when the 1 week came, it created a new media label. What I'd like it to have done (if possible) is to write over the media label already existing (see snapshot - file B2D000405) instead of creating a new one (B2D000415).

1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

If you are only doing incremental backups I assume you're not bothered about being able to recover all your data if it is lost.

You need to make two changes.

1. Change the Overwrite Protection Period for your media set to 1 month. By having it set to 1 week you are saying that you don't mind any data over 1 week old being overwritten. This is not what you want.

2. Change the Media Protection Options to Overwrite existing media before using scratch media. This will bias BE towards saving space, rather than retaining data, when used with B2D jobs.

Also you are doing an incremental by modified time. If you are keeping all your backups together, this may lead you to backup some files twice, and miss some files, as your backups may not always run at the same time. Instead if you do an archive job using the archive bit then no files will be missed or backed up twice.