cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Speed about 200-300MB/min?

_Bugs_
Level 5

Hello,

Some of our backup jobs are working very slow lately, we are reaching about 200-300MB/min on deduplication storage.

The servers to back up have Windows 2003 R2 and 2008 R2 as operating system, nothing special.

Just a week before we had reached 2500 -3500 MB/min, now we can`t hold our time window because backups last simply too long.

The Deduplication Rate seems not to be responsible, we have reached acceptable Transfer Rates with for example 18:1 and 999:1.

What can i do? 

17 REPLIES 17

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Open job log and check which resources are taking more time during backups.

Also copy some data across network to check the transfer rate.

_Bugs_
Level 5

System State 328 MB/min

Drive C: 1519 MB/min (System/OS)

Drive D: 305 MB/min (41 GB of small files)

copying seems normal.

AmolB

System State backup of Win 2008 & Win 2008 R2 server takes long time and backup of large

number of small files is always time consuming. 

_Bugs_
Level 5

Yes i know that a large number of small files lasts longer then small number of large files.

But it worked pretty well before last week and i haven`t changed anything. Suddenly it takes much more time and that has to have a reason

_Bugs_
Level 5

The Backup Jobs on the 2K8 R2 Server are working normal, the Jobs on 2K3 R2 are still very slow.

When i copy content from a 2K3 Server to the Media-Server i reach 80 MB/s that means 4800MB/min. When i create a Backup Job for the same files i get ~170MB/Min, 2,8MB/s!

There is no difference if i set up the job as offhost or onhost - so why is BE2012 so slow? And only on 2K3-Server?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Have you tried disabling check point restsrt for your job and then check if that helps, http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191072 Thanks

_Bugs_
Level 5

No i did not, thank you for the link. Will try it tonight.

_Bugs_
Level 5

It didn`t help, in fact its getting worse.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...change that setting back to the default. You can try network copies of files between the media server and servers in question too to test the network speed, and sometimes a simple restart of the media server also helps.

_Bugs_
Level 5

I tried network copies already as you can see in my previous posts, i can copy the same files with 80MB/s while Backup Exec do it with 3MB/s.

I restarted the Media Server and the Remote Server serveral times also.

CraigV

...is SP1a installed?

_Bugs_
Level 5

Yes, all available Updates are installed

Itworks
Level 2

I guess Symantec just can't find a solution to resolve this issue... must be a complicated one, every time a new version comes out I have hopes for new fixes, but you usualy get only looks!

Symantec please work on this!   Find a work around or something, aside of making me use windows backup for System State...

Thanks Much!

CraigV

...I've seen a competitor's application also run slowly through the Server 2008 system state, so it appears to be something to do with the way Microsoft designed it. So it doesn't appear to be solely the problem of Symantec's.

Thanks!

_Bugs_
Level 5

We are talking about Server 2003 here, 2008 works very fine. And it is not only System State, it affects the complete Data.

CraigV

OK...so now you have actually clarified the OS. You mentioned Server 2008 which is where the confusion has come in here.

Try running a local NTbackup of the server and see what results it gives you!

_Bugs_
Level 5

As you can see in post 6 i have clarified the OS three days ago. We use Backup Exec just for two months now, before that we used Acronis True Image and NTBackup for the same tasks.

We reach Backup Time of 17 hours with BE2012 while with Acronis it was between 4-8 hours depending on the daytime.

I will try NTBackup once more to test it and post the result.