cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Strategy

Darren_Welldon_
Level 3
I am putting together a backup strategy using our new backup server, we have LTO2 tapes which hold 200 to 400 gig.

What Propose to do is have a daily incremental backup, then a full weekly backup, followed by a monthly backup that will become the archive tape for that month.

I have set the media sets as follows. Is this correct or is there something else I should be doing.

Daily - Append period (Infinite), Overwrite protection (6 days)
Weekly - Append period (6 days), Overwrite protection (4 weeks)
Monthly - Append period (1 year), Overwrite protection (Infinite)
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you intend to keep the dailies for anytime at all, or just reuse them each week?

If you reuse them, you will only be able to go back within one calendar week for specific night's backups Also, do you intend to place all daily jobs on the same tape? If so, the only change I'd make to the dailies is to set APP to six days rather than infinite.

If you want to alternate dailies, so you can go back to a specific backup for two calendar weeks, change the OPP to 13 Days etc.

I'd definitely use a separate tape for each week (up to the number of weeks you want to keep) set the OPP to 27 days

Mionthly looks OK

personally, I'd set the APP for the weeklies and monthlies to 0, and use a separate tape If I needed a special backup.

I'd also have five weeky tapes, rather than four. Whether you label them Friaady A, Friday B etc and just use them in rotation or Friday1, Friday2 and use them on specific weeks is up to you. I'd choose Friday1, Friday2 etc.Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Darren_Welldon_
Level 3
Thanks for the help,

Because the tapes are LTO2 they hold around 200 gig, and our incremental backup is only around 30gig a night, I am going to use 5 LTO tapes, labelled 1 to 5.

I have also got a CPS server which I am currently roling out which takes a backup every hour between 8 and 5.