cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Time

Matt_Meyer
Level 2
Does compression make a tape backup run slower than without compression?

Matt
5 REPLIES 5

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Depends on the type of compression. When the tapedrive has the ability to do hardware compression the backup time will not be that different. When you use software compression the computer itself has to perform the compression and this costs extra CPU cycles.

There are circumstances were using compression can actually use more room on a tape then if you were not using compression.(I've read that somewere, forgot were)

Please check the BE knowledgebase for more information on compression.

Regards
A van der Boom

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above solution has helped.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Matt_Meyer
Level 2
We use hardware compression now.

What we do is backup multiple systems to hard drive first using compression, then back those systems up to tape.

Since they're already compressed, I would think using compression on the tape backup would be a waste of time and perhaps resources.

I'm hoping that by NOT using compression on the tape backup, the job will finish much faster.

Matt

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Compressing your data twice seems unnecessary and I think would only add more time to your backup. If you want to use compression only use it at one stage, B2D or tape not both.

I myself do a B2D without compression and a duplicate to tape with hardware compression.

Regards
A van der Boom

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can refer the following technote get more information about "Copression"

Backups fail to get double the amount of the native capacity recorded to a
media, even when hardware compression is being utilized.]
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

We also suggest you to try backup using native
operating system backup utility For example: "NTbackup" and check the results of compression.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.